RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 high RAM usage?

Jason

Has anyone else encountered the issue where WHS 2011 consumes all of their RAM? I have 8 GB RAM in my machine and it's currently fluctuating between 6.5-7 GB of 8 GB total RAM being used. Despite having a Q9550 quad CPU the PC suddenly gets very sluggish even with no disk I/O. Seems to happen after being operational for anywhere from 5-10 days and will require a reboot. The reboot will temporarily resolve the issue.

Fortunately, I'm about to rebuild my WHS 2011 box with a new core i5 CPU, 16 GB RAM (though WHS 2011 will only support 8 GB), but I fear the unless I figure out what causes this, I'm likely to encounter it again in my next build.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Look in the Task Manager> Memory Tab to see what is using all the RAM. My guess it is probably the AV out of control.

A simple reboot may be all that is necessary to clear this up or just kill the process.

It seems that CrashPlan consumes a significant amount, but the majority is used by w3wp.exe. Have no idea what that is or does. The media sharing feature of WHS 2011 is turned off. NOD32 is installed and enabled. This seems to be common among WHS users but no one seems to have pinpointed the cause yet.

That process runs the Application Pool used by IIS for your website.

Sometimes, if the CPU utilization goes high, for example, 70% or 80%, restart the IIS service and the WWW service. that will bring down the CPU utilization.

It seems that CrashPlan consumes a significant amount, but the majority is used by w3wp.exe. Have no idea what that is or does. The media sharing feature of WHS 2011 is turned off. NOD32 is installed and enabled. This seems to be common among WHS users but no one seems to have pinpointed the cause yet.

Not sure what you mean by "common". It seems actually very rare. You might see if NOD32 could be at the root cause. What are you using your IIS for? Do have an FTP or something else that uses it? If you do not need it you could uninstall the service.

Not sure what you mean by "common". It seems actually very rare. You might see if NOD32 could be at the root cause. What are you using your IIS for? Do have an FTP or something else that uses it? If you do not need it you could uninstall the service.

Pcdoc, I have since uninstalled NOD32 and no longer have any antivirus on the box. Do you run any form of AV? Is it needed? I am only using IIS for the build in remote access + I've added two WebDAV folders though they're used fairly infrequently. Although I'm going to be upgrading this machine later this week, I'm disturbed by this causes of this issue. Seems WMIprvSE.exe CPU usage also bounces around (until I set that Windows service to manual).