RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Optimal PageFile Size

awraynor

awraynor

I have been trying Folder Sizes and Duplicate File Detective as recommended on another post.

Both have been quite good and stable products. As I was trying Folder Sizes I noticed

pagefile.sys is 15.9 GB. I have a 128GB Vertex SSD as my primary drive with 16GB of RAM if that helps. Online information varies greatly as how I should approach this.

Any recommendations other than leave it alone?

I don't have the link handy, but according to pcdoc's site, if you have 16 gig of ram, you can safely turn off pagefile and indexing on the SSD.

jmwills

Page Files usually are 1 1/2 times the amount of physical RAM. But like Diehard said, SSD's really shouldn't need it.

timekills
Page Files usually are 1 1/2 times the amount of physical RAM. But like Diehard said, SSD's really shouldn't need it.

Not sure the old rule of thumb applies once you get past 2GB of RAM.

Sent using Tapatalk

awraynor

I had read a lot of conflicting information, but I put more worth in the expert opinions here.

Thanks again.

jmwills

I stick with the 1.5 times as I was reading thru some event logs on one of our servers the other day (yea, I lead an exciting life). We had less than 15 gigs of free space left on the C Drive and warnings were being issued because of the 1.5 rule (server has 10 gigs of RAM)

awraynor

My original SSD was a Vertex 2 60GB SSD. Between the pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys they pretty much filled it up.

Reading server logs isn't boring at all, I could watch a progress bar all day long.

I usually either turn the page file off or set it to 2-3 gigs max. Some argue you should have a page file however I have successfully without. I usually set it to 2 gigs min/max and fix it to a size. If I where you I would try without and if you see any issues, then fix the size to something small like 2-4.

Mine is off. Seems to run just fine (I do have 16GB RAM). I used SpaceMonger to locate and delete the file. Nice to get that much space back on an SSD :(