RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

View ripped DVDs from server

Jerry

I started the adventure of migrating from V1 to 2011. All has been well gaining access to music and picture libraries, but my ripped DVD collection has been a pain. I can't watch movies. I have all the path settings configured in Media Center. What's happening...if I try to watch a movie using the Media Center "Movie" menu option, I'm asked to insert a DVD. Using MediaBrowser, I have no access to my movie library. No titles shown. Click the "update libraries", hours later, nothing. Anyone had this happen before? Workaround anyone?

The server could still be indexing those files. How many are we talking about?

I always blow away the predefined paths and make my own.

Around 450 titles. I still have the rips on the old V1, turned it back on and can still watch the titles still. I'll switch back and give it a little more time to index. Thanks for the reply.

I agree with jmwills, and do not use the native directories. Create a new share, copy a few movies to it, then point you media center to use that share instead and see what happens.

Thanks all. Fix was a little odd. MediaBrowser on the HTPC was creating problem. It not only affected itself but attempting to view rips using Media Center Movie menu created the "need a DVD" error. Weird huh.... Deleted. Removed old directory, booted PC then reloaded MediaBrowser. Updated library and all's well. For some reason, MediaBrowser just couldn't let go of the old library.

One more tidbit. All server files are on a Drobo with Firewire 800. This is my third Windows Home Server - #1 is a WHS V1 and now #2 and #3 are WHS 2011. #2 has a Rocket Raid and I use in my videography business for backup. So far diggin the Drobo set up. Ran #3 through the paces the past week and it's behaved rather well.

Funny!!! As an avid listener to the podcast, I should have known better :D ! The server is located in a closet. Heat had become a big issue even with a 100 cfm exhaust fan installed in the top of the closet. The new server was built in one of those "shoebox" cases and a micro ATX card. Only had room in the case for 2 hard drives and didn't want to try and cram a bunch of laptop drives in the server. Found a the "D" $$$$$$$ on sale at New Egg and threw the dice. We hit it hard all week watching movies. Still behaving. Oh yeah. The temp in closet with the new server, "D"$$$$$$, an old NAS, printers, cable modems, gig switch and other junk is very reasonable. Much different that the previous WHS V1 running on an antique 6600 Pentium. You could bake have baked pizza in the closet....hummmmm....one second thought....

Edited by Jerry