RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
KiwiGlen

Have to enter a Userid/Password to access shares

KiwiGlen

Pretty sure this is a dumb question but I just can get it going so I thought I'd ask.

The problem I'm having is that when a user tries to access to server its rejected and a dialogue box appears asking for the user id and password. Now I thought that if the user id and password for the user on the PC matched the userid and password on the server it would use it and allow access? Is that right or do I need to enter these again?

I was using homegroup on the server but decided to turn it off. With homegroup I didn't need to enter the user id and password, I could just access the shares. But all users had the same access, which I now don't want.

I'm sure before I used homegroup that I didn't need to enter the userid and password to access the server.

Any ideas?

Glen

jmwills

First of all, do not use the Homegroup option. It causes more issues than it solves, however if you wish to continue to use it make note of this.

Your problem seems to be rooted in the fact that all users are part of the same Group that has full access granted by permissions. There are several ways around this. You can create your own Groups and assign permissions that way or simply adjust permission levels on the exisiting groups.

One thing to remember is that Windows grants access based on the principle of "least privilege". Say a user was a member of two groups that both had access to the same folder. One Group gave them full access while another only gave them Read access". The effective granted permission level would be Read Only.

Review your Users and Groups and then look at the Shares to see what level of permissions have beeen given to each. Windows is very flexible, yet very secure with sharing. You can create your own Groups or stick with what is provided.

Hope this helps.

gcoupe

On your client PC that needs to access a shared folder on WHS, you need to add a Windows Credential that references a user account/password that has been set up on the WHS.

On the client PC, go to Control Panel/User accounts/Manage Windows Credentials and create a Windows Credential that references a user account/password on the WHS.

ikon

On your client PC that needs to access a shared folder on WHS, you need to add a Windows Credential that references a user account/password that has been set up on the WHS.

On the client PC, go to Control Panel/User accounts/Manage Windows Credentials and create a Windows Credential that references a user account/password on the WHS.

Does this work for XP clients?

gcoupe

Does this work for XP clients?

I have no idea. I haven't used Windows XP for years.

jmwills

Use this:

nameofserver\username

password

awraynor

I just rebuilt my Win7 Ultimate machine which finally enabled a complete install of the connector. Too bad

the last build wasn't backed up as an unfortunate choice in Acronis hosed my data drive. I went ahead

and rebuilt my server too while I was at it.

This time around I have tried HomeGroup and it seems to work okay. I still have some issues accessing

files and folders, but much better than before. Even my hackintosh connects to the WHS without a problem.

ikon

Use this:

nameofserver\username

password

This is the technique I'm used to. Also, if you get the dreaded "there is already a link to this share" message (or whatever it is exactly) try IPaddress\userID.

KiwiGlen

OK I tried doing that but now when I try and RDP into the server it fails saying that the connection was denied because the user account is not authorised for remote logon.

So how do I get both to work?

ikon

Are you logging in as Administrator?