RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Corrupted client backups on WHS 2011 (running in VMWare)

Bandalo

I'm hoping you guys out there might be able to help with this...

I have a WHS 2011 install that's running on a VMWare ESXi server. I've been running it for more than a year with no problems. It backs up 3 clients on my home network, and I don't use it for much else.

A month or so ago I started seeing corrupt backups. I did the repair option a few times, but it would always come back a couple days later. I deleted the backup database entirely and started over, and the same problem popped up again. So, I wiped out the entire VM, and completely reinstalled WHS 2011 on a new VM, and reinstalled the connector on all the clients. Worked for about a week, now the problem has popped up again.

VMware isn't reporting any disk errors, and none of the other VMs are having problems.

Any idea where I should start looking?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jazzerjay

• jmwills

• ikon

• Bandalo

Running 5.0 right now, and I have been since it came out. There's an update available, but it has some known bugs, so I don't want to install it yet.

The known bugs in 5.0U1 have to do with auto-start not working properly for some VMs...that's why I haven't updated from 5.0 yet..

This blog article says it's just in the free version, which we're not running at work of course. http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2012/03/free-esxi-hypervisor-auto-start-breaks-with-50-update-1.html

However, there is a thread that says it's not just in the free version and is indeed broken in the licensed version. http://communities.vmware.com/thread/394974?start=30&tstart=0

Thanks for looking out!

(Now back to our regularly scheduled program)

Have you re installed the client connector?

Well, I'm running the free version of ESXi on this machine. It only has a few VMs, the WHS 2011 instance, a Win7 instance, and a very small LINUX appliance. The LINUX appliance runs some stuff on my network though, so the auto-start is critical. Database was corruped again when I checked this morning. This is really getting annoying.

If it helps, all of the errors appear to be on one particular desktop. Or at least, that's the one that always loses data after the client backup database repair.

If it helps, all of the errors appear to be on one particular desktop. Or at least, that's the one that always loses data after the client backup database repair.

Hmmmm, perhaps that desktop is having disk issues?

I thought that might be the case, so last week I nuked the machine and reinstalled Win7 from scratch on it. Then I did another reinstall of WHS 2011 just to make sure. The only unusual thing about this machine is that it's running two SSDs in RAID 0. Haven't had any disk errors reported by the machine itself, just the corruption in the backup database.