RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Lian-Li EX-503B How to Setup for Port replication

jdavis37

Well I learned something today. Did not know that port replication was supported by USB 3. Thanks for sharing your results.

Glad it worked out on both ends, meaning for my needs and for the information that can be shared :) The manual for this case is very "lacking" and makes it unclear about the port replication part. I realize many if not most will be using the RAID features but for those wanting a conveneient way to backup data with ability to swap drives (for off site storage, etc ) the port replication aspects work well. hopefully in future when/if anyone is interested in the 503B and port rpelication, Google wll be their friend! So far so good.. case continues to work well though nest step is to allow Win7 to put it in sleep mode to see what happens! That blue LED on front is about as bright as my Xenon headlamps :)

Glad it worked out on both ends, meaning for my needs and for the information that can be shared The manual for this case is very "lacking" and makes it unclear about the port replication part. I realize many if not most will be using the RAID features but for those wanting a conveneient way to backup data with ability to swap drives (for off site storage, etc ) the port replication aspects work well. hopefully in future when/if anyone is interested in the 503B and port rpelication, Google wll be their friend! So far so good.. case continues to work well though nest step is to allow Win7 to put it in sleep mode to see what happens! That blue LED on front is about as bright as my Xenon headlamps

I've now set mine for JBOD, so it concatenates different sized drives into a single volume. I've created 2 sets of backup drives: Offsite-1 & Offsite-2. A Scheduled Task will launch a RoboCopy job in the middle of the night to update whichever Offsite drive set is currently in the EX-503. The next day, that Offsite set will go to work for safekeeping and the one taken to work the day before will be brought home to be used that night, and so on and so on....

BTW, just for kicks, I have changed the drive letter used by the system to identify both sets of Offsite drives to 'B:'. Nobody ever uses A: and B: anymore, so I'm showing one of them some love :)

ps. YESSS!!! those blue LEDs are a royal PITA. I've come to hate them because they're just too bright. Give me a nice dull red LED anytime over the blue.

Hi All,

I have one of these units as well and have had it for sometime now based on pcdoc recommendation and I could not be happier with it, It just run without any trouble at all. I am using it to backup all my data from WHS 2011 to this box then I use CrashPlan to backup all my critical stuff off this box to the cloud, Works like a charm and I don't have to remember to rotate the drives off-site for safe keeping.

One thing I did just notice is I am using RAID5 instead of JBOD, Don't know y I set it up like this but after reading this post I am going to change it to JBOD, I am also connected using the eSata and not USB3, Could someone please tell me what they don't like about eSata and y I should use USB3 instead?

Thanks

Hi All,

I have one of these units as well and have had it for sometime now based on pcdoc recommendation and I could not be happier with it, It just run without any trouble at all. I am using it to backup all my data from WHS 2011 to this box then I use CrashPlan to backup all my critical stuff off this box to the cloud, Works like a charm and I don't have to remember to rotate the drives off-site for safe keeping.

One thing I did just notice is I am using RAID5 instead of JBOD, Don't know y I set it up like this but after reading this post I am going to change it to JBOD, I am also connected using the eSata and not USB3, Could someone please tell me what they don't like about eSata and y I should use USB3 instead?

Thanks

There are different schools of thought here. If it where me I would not change to JBOD unless you need the space just for the extra layer of protection. Also, you know you will loose all your data when you change the configuration so make sure it is a true backup. Lastly, everyone on this board has different experiences with eSata and USB. For me, I can't stand eSata and avoid it like the plague while others are very happy with it. In terms of performance they both perform well so use the one that works for you.

I've done a little more playing with my EX-503s. The JBOD is working just fine. However, I added a bunch more data to my WHS2011 so my Offsite backup sets are getting really tight on space.

I decided to add a 1TB drive to each set. Each of the 2 Offsite sets now has 1x2TB, 1x1.5TB, and 1x1TB. A downside to doing this is that the EX-503 would not just allow me to add the drive to the set. I had to clear and re-establish the RAID as follows:

1. set the DIP switches to HHHH
  2. power off
  3. press and hold the Activate button
  4. power on
  5. continue to hold the button for 15 seconds.
  6. set the DIP switches back to LHLH
  7. repeat steps 2 thru 5

Finally, I had to copy the data all back over to the Offsite drive again. It's a bit of a PITA but, luckily, I don't have to be around for 90% of it.