RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Weird problem with storage spaces

Don W

I was wondering why I was getting slow transfer speeds to my Windows 8 machine so I tested out some transfers and here is my problem. When I copy a BluRay rip to the C drive it transfers at around 100mb a second and stays that way for the entire transfer, but when I copy the same file to the storage spaces drive (4 - 2TB drives with parity) it copies at 100 again for 15 seconds then drops down to 20 for the remainder. I repeated this test 5 times and each time was the same result. Is that how storage spaces is going to be??? If so I am going back to FreeNAS.

Any ideas? Is there a tweak out there?

TIA

Don

I had another thought and copied a movie off of the storage spaces drive and got around 80MB a second, so that tells me that the array is capable of transfers higher than 20MB a second.

Check out the speed test by pcdoc on this sites main page and you will see storage spaces using parity will have slow write speeds but faster reads. Other option is just use the mirror setting which will be faster but your storage space will be smaller.