RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Passing on SSDs for now

axoid

I just wanted to share the difficulties that I’ve working through.

Having read all of the great results that people have been having with SSDs on here I decided to try it last year. Having had trouble twice now, I’m going back to spindle drives, at least for the near term.

I picked up a 64GB SSD (Microcenter branded A-Data drive) about a year ago. It was fast, but it would cause blue screens of death about once or twice a week. I researched the problem and confirmed that the drive was known to cause this problem. I tried updating the firmware but it didn’t help. I lived with it about 5 months and I then decided to try a different SSD drive manufacture.

So I picked up a Kingston 64GB and reinstalled everything. It ran smoothly for about 4 months, but then things started to go sideways. The computer stopped staying in sleep mode, then it stopped playing back certain video file formats and eventually it stopped booting up at all. I tried to repair the OS, but I wasn't seaming to be getting any where, so I did a clean install. The initial install went fine, but while installing updates the machine hung after rebooting, 33% through the install process. I let it run over night since it said not to turn off the computer, but after no sign of progress the next morning I rebooted the computer and it failed on start up. So I was back to a non-booting OS.

I decided to through a spindle drive back in as the sys drive and the install and updates have gone smoothly. I’m done for now, I may try SSDs again in the future, but for the moment I’ll stick to slower spinning drives that are stable.

I might still use these SSDs as scratch drives for drive intensive tasks, but not for boot or storage drives.

Bill

If you do try again, I recommend you try the OCZ or Intel SSDs. They seem to be doing better than some of the others.

I have 2 OCZ drives that I have been running for about 4 months now. I bought them at a point when they released a new firmware that fixed all the problems people were having with them. They have been running great. However, even if I have problems I just can't give up the speed I have gotten from SSD's. Its the biggest difference I have seen with any HW upgrade.

My laptop came with a Samsung 470 in it. I've had the laptop for around 6 months and not once has it given me any troubles. As far as I'm concerned, it is just a really fast hard drive. I plan on putting an SSD in our other laptop and desktop eventually, I hope they are as reliable as my current SSD.

Edited by jeffla

If you do try again, I recommend you try the OCZ or Intel SSDs. They seem to be doing better than some of the others.

I have 2 OCZ drives that I have been running for about 4 months now. I bought them at a point when they released a new firmware that fixed all the problems people were having with them. They have been running great. However, even if I have problems I just can't give up the speed I have gotten from SSD's. Its the biggest difference I have seen with any HW upgrade.

Agreed with all of the above, Definitively worth it with good drives. Don't give up just yet and spend a bit more to get quality drives. Both drives you used where not noted for being the best.

• 4 weeks later...

And the answer to your problems are probably all attributed to "Microcenter branded A-Data drive". I would not skimp on brand/price when it comes to an SSD.

a couple weeks back we picked up a second thinkpad t420s, this one came with a Micron c300 (crucial c300). So far so good. We shall see if this oem supplied drive works out to be as reliable as my samsung 470. I wonder if having the drive installed from factory makes a difference?

And the answer to your problems are probably all attributed to "Microcenter branded A-Data drive". I would not skimp on brand/price when it comes to an SSD.

Ditto

My OCZ is running like a champ, I'll check back in a few months so don't give up. I'll tell you I was tempted to go "A-Data" type of drive, but this forum told me different. Surely the difference of $15-$20 is well worth it as opposed to you reloading your PC again. (because I've been on that side before as well)

Installed 3 Mushkins in the last 6 months with no issues (thanks to dvn for the tip). Hands down difference and worth it. Don't stay away too long and get left behind.