RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
PCEddie

Suggestions for a Gaming Computer Build

PCEddie

Hey all,

I am helping a gaming friend build a new gaming computer to replace the below gaming computer.

Processor: intel® Core ™2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz 2.39 GHZ

Memory: CORSAIR XMS2 Xtreme Performance 4 GB (2 x 2 GB) 240-pin Replacement DIMM DDR2 Memory Module Kit

Video Card: nividia gefroce gtx 460

He would like to keep his video card and replace the rest of the computer. His budget is in the $2000 range.

Below is what I have found. Keep in mind I am not a gamer so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Processor: Intel Core i7-bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637173770K

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 (times 2 for a total of 16 GB of RAM)

Motherboard: ??????

Case: Lian Li PC-6 Aluminum ATX Game Case, USB 3.0 VGA Max Length 17.32 inch

Hard Drive: 256 SSD hard drive (any suggestions)

Power Supply: Corsair (any suggestions)

My friend plays Star Wars The Old Republic and Diablo 3.

krom

I think you are on the right track here. I recently built a gaming PC for my son with similar specks. We used the same Ivy Bridge Core i7 3770K for the CPU. For a mobo we used Asus' new z77 Sabertooth and have be happy with that. For an SSD we chose Crucial M4 256GB and for a power supply we used a Silverstone gold 1100watt modular. I would recommend for the memory two things. First go with a matched set of 16GB (maybe 8GB x2 rather than 4GB x4) and definitely make sure you check the compatibility of your RAM with your motherboard choice. That ended up biting me at first as the original RAM we picked was not compatible. It might be now with a BIOS update but my son wasn't happy when we didn't get a boot with the original RAM we used. Luckily I had a set of Coarsair Vengeance around that worked. Also with a $2k budget I think you have plenty of room in there for a GPU upgrade. After all for a gaming rig the GPU is THE key component although you definitely want to make sure the rest of your components are well matched. For our build the plan is to get a GTX 680 when pricing and availability settle down a bit, but for now we installed an AMD 6870 which is no slouch by any means.

I hope this helps some but like I said you are on the right track already. BTW there really is nothing more fun to build than a kick ass gaming rig so have fun and post some pics when you're done.

pcdoc

A couple of suggestions, Asus or Gigabyte for the motherboard. If you are running 16gigs, get a matched set. As for the SSD, I would get the Intel or OCZ MAX IOPS teamed up with a large Caviar black drive and you are good to go. I run Diablo 3 and it just breezes through. I run a 120 MI for the OS and 240 MI for the data drive. The performance of the M4 (not to mention my recent failure) is not up to par. I agree with krom in that a 670/680 would be a good idea to match a system like this. I think you can do that under 2K. Power supply, my favorite is the cooler master modular series, but corsair is fine as well, just look carefully as some corsair supplies have long and thick cables so get the modular. Single Rail 700 or higher should be fine.

PCEddie

Thanks Krom and PCDoc for your suggestions. I have updated the gaming computer build based on the suggestions.

Processor: Intel Core i7-bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop processor Intel HD Graphics 4000

BX80637173770K

Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 TUF Series Motherboard on Intel Z77 Platform z77 ATX DDR3 1600 Intel - LGA 1155

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-

1600C9D-16GXM

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX670 FTW 2048MB GDDR5 256bit, Dual Dual-Link DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, 4-Way SLI Ready Graphics Card Graphics Cards 02G-P4-2678-KR or EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2048MB GDDR5, DVI, DVI-D, HDMI, DisplayPort, 4-way SLI Ready Graphics Card Graphics Cards 02G-P4-2680-KR

Computer Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0, Black Interior and Four Fans-1x 230mm front RED LED fan, 1x 140mm rear fan, 1x 230mm top fan, and 1x 230mm side fan

Power Supply: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RS800-80GAD3-US 800W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Hard Drive: Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) or OCZ Vertex 3 - MAX IOPS Edition VTX3MI-25SAT3-240G 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Have I missed anything?

I have also found out my friend is using (2) Dell 21 inch monitors. I have updated the case selection as he wants a full tower with lights and a clear side panel to see inside of the computer case.

What do you all think?

Edited by PCEddie

krom

Looks like a great build. Your friend should be very happy. You might consider a larger spindle HDD for media storage, etc. as PCDoc suggested and I don't see an ODD. I would get a Bluray burner since you've gone all out on everything else. I don't have any specific recommendations for a Bluray drive, seems one is as good as the next but I could be wrong.

Also I didn't see the memory you spec'd on Asus recommended memory list. Here's the link for that:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/SABERTOOTH_Z77/SABERTOOTH-Z77-Memory-QVL.pdf

Again I could be wrong but better safe than sorry especially since I already felt that pain.

Good luck with the build.

PCEddie

Thanks for the suggestions Krom.

My friend has a 1TB hard drive which has his data. We will use that. We will also use his CD/DVD drive from his current gaming computer.

I have also looked at the Asus recommended memory list and see the below item.

Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1866 MHz (PC3 15000) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM Memory Kit for Intel Core i3, i5, i7 and AMD platforms CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9

Is there a Corsair Vengeance 8 GB (1 x 8GB) kit that will work with the mother board spec?

pcdoc

looks like a great build. The memory you spec'd will be fine. I am running the same RAM with no issues.

PCEddie

Thanks for everyone's feedback. Below is the link to game computer build. I did not add a CD/DVD drive and a second hard drive for data as he had those items.

http://amzn.com/w/1U9QJKLFLJ2DP

Guest no-control

My thoughts though it may be too late...

-The build sheet specs 2 different cards GTX670 & GTX680 not which one you want, Both are total overkill for 1080P on a 21" monitor. If I had to choose between them I would go with the 670. If I could choose from anything I would go with the MSI R7950 or even a R7870. both are cheaper and offer more than enough performance for such a low res monitor.

_The i7 is also waaaaaaaay overbuilt. the 3570K would be fine. Nothing you stated shows he would/could take advantage of the hyper-threading. I would even go so far as to suggest going with a Z68 board with either 2500K or i3-2120. Very very few games are going to take advantage of multi core/multi thread.

PSU is also too much. 400W would power this thing without issue.

go with low pro RAM tall heatsinks interfere with a lot of the top aftermarket HSFs. Which brings me to cooling. Please use something after market. I prefer liquid cooling to air on gaming setups its cheap and effective. H60 would be fine even for a mild overclocked system.

Also going to suggest the Samsung 830 SSDs over the M4....I don't recommend OCZ products at all anymore, Customer service and product quality have been less then acceptable as of late.

Gaming rigs right now are all about the GPU and resolution. nothing else really matters after that.

pcdoc

I would not go with the M4 on this build either. Since you are investing a decent amount of money, go with the Intel drives or a Samsung. Have not been super impressed with the M4 in terms of performance (or in my case reliability). If you can get an Intel on sale you will get the best of both worlds. The speed of an OCZ (see my benchmarks) and the stabilty of the Samsung.