awraynor

Recommendations For Duplicate Finder Software

awraynor    96
awraynor

I have used a number of products, but none seem to be "the one". Some find duplicate files,

some music, some photos. Any good products that do all, and the ability to auto select files

based on specified is a definite plus.

ImTheTypeOfGuy    30
ImTheTypeOfGuy

Can't help with one that does it all but I heard on the DMZ 2.0 podcast about one called WMC dedup to remove duplicate recordings.

jmwills    283
jmwills

Folder Sizes.....not free but it works

flyboyco    3
flyboyco

WMC-dedupe does work well for recorded tv. it took me a little while to figure out how to tun it (gotta go to dos mode), but it really does work.

otherwise i believe there is still snoop-de-dupe for whs. i used it a couple years ago. works great for house keeping. i believe there is a free trial. 30 days.

ikon    419
ikon

I have used Beyond Compare for this. You pick 2 folders (left and right) and it compares the files in each. It's a little different than a pure duplicate finder, but it really checks the files to see that there are identical inside.

awraynor    96
awraynor

I use Beyond Compare to sync my win7 data folders and the corresponding folders on WHS. Funny that it would give me

different results than the comparable sync function on Directory Opus when I used it. Beyond Compare seems to stumble

a bit more when accessing shares than some programs, but when it works it works.

Going to look at folders sizes. Also going to try to find a comparison beyond that and their duplicate file detective product.

The pro version of folder sizes is $55, but the home version is half that and maybe good enough. Home doesn't support

server, but hopefully that means no installation, not the inability to access a share?

jmwills    283
jmwills

We ran FS to clean up orphaned Home Folders from users that had rotated out of theatre.

awraynor    96
awraynor

Trying Folder Sizes and Duplicate File Finder right now, pretty decent software. I loved WinDirStat but it would choke on occasion.

Folder Size just works, very quickly.

awraynor    96
awraynor

I may have to take a look at it. I have found Folders Sizes and Duplicate File Detective to be very

full featured and stable. However, Folder Sizes is a bit more expensive than I thought it would be,

but it's purchase gives you DFD for $20.