RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Ivy Bridge Core I5-3450 (77W) Or I5-3450S (65W)?

Jason

Am looking to upgrade this box to a new Intel Ivy Bridge build.

GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard

16 GB (2 x 8 GB) 1600 DDR3 RAM

Seasonic X-650 (650W) PSU -- fan only kicks on under load (should reduce noise)

And a Core i5 Ivy Bridge CPU. Don't feel a dual core i3 would be sufficient for my needs or provide headroom.

What would be the better choice? Neither have hyperthreading.

Core i5-3450 (77W) 3.1 ghz (3.5 ghz Turbo)

Core i5-3450S (65W) 2.8 ghz (3.5 ghz Turbo)

The higher i5 CPUs (i.e., 3550 and above) seem to generate more heat than I'd like...

A Core i7 would be overkill for my use.

I personally do not go with the "S" types. At the system level (out of the wall) it makes very little difference but you do get hit in performance.

I personally do not go with the "S" types. At the system level (out of the wall) it makes very little difference but you do get hit in performance.

pcdoc - I appreciate your insight. Was initially drawn to the TDW of 65W vs 77W though I wasn't sure how much that matters at idle? Granted my WHS 2011 box is mostly idle though there are peak usage times when I'd benefit from quad (transcoding, conversions).

Perhaps the Ivy Bridge Core i5-3550 (77W) would be a better pick? Is only $10 more, has HD 4000 GPU (vs. HD 2500) though my WHS 2011 currently headless and supports vt-x (in the event virtualization ever needed w/ Windows Server 2012 in future), USB 3.0, etc.

I have no intention on overclocking (never have), and normally use stock cooling (HSF). My old Core 2 Quad Q9550 idles at ~45C-55C which is higher than I'd like. Would love if the i5-3550 could idle somewhere between ~20C-30C. Trying to achieve better performance than the Q9550 w/ lower power consumption and less heat (in a large Fractal Design full tower case).

Won't be used for gaming (no K-series chip needed).

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

pcdoc - I appreciate your insight. Was initially drawn to the TDW of 65W vs 77W though I wasn't sure how much that matters at idle? Granted my WHS 2011 box is mostly idle though there are peak usage times when I'd benefit from quad (transcoding, conversions).

Perhaps the Ivy Bridge Core i5-3550 (77W) would be a better pick? Is only $10 more, has HD 4000 GPU (vs. HD 2500) though my WHS 2011 currently headless and supports vt-x (in the event virtualization ever needed w/ Windows Server 2012 in future), USB 3.0, etc.

I have no intention on overclocking (never have), and normally use stock cooling (HSF). My old Core 2 Quad Q9550 idles at ~45C-55C which is higher than I'd like. Would love if the i5-3550 could idle somewhere between ~20C-30C. Trying to achieve better performance than the Q9550 w/ lower power consumption and less heat (in a large Fractal Design full tower case).

Won't be used for gaming (no K-series chip needed).

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Agree 100% I would get as much as the budget allows. I have moving many tasks to my home server such as trancoding, syncing, MyMovies, Skydrive, Crashplan, etc. I appreciate the extra power especially when transcoding BD or converting videos. The handbrake plug in that is in MyMovies loves to tank your CPU when it is converting video. Most of the time I do not need the power but it is nice when you do. I agree with the no overclocking theory, I never do either especially not a home server as it usually kill the power savings features of the CPU and motherboard. One suggestion though is do not use the standard HSF. Although it is fine for normal use, I found mine to run a bit warm when doing video conversions which drive the CPU. I have just changed one on my backup server and will be upgrading my WHS soon.

Appreciate the advice. Perhaps I've missed the potential of CPUs I've purchased in the past, but I've traditionally not OC'd any CPU and have thus used stock HSFs. Is clear that won't be the case this time around. Seems many have recommended this HSF (Coolermaster 212 for Ivy Bridge LGA 1155). Seems huge.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835103099

Still trying to determine which Core i5 IB would be the best fit. Seems the 3450 (77W) or 3450s (65W) are out. The 3550 (77W) is tempting as I don't know that I'd benefit from any K-series (3570K, etc.). Am trying to limit the amoung of heat a Core i5 IB CPU will generate even at idle. While also not limiting myself to an i3. An i7 IB would be overkill as there's no video editing or gaming happening on this server box.

Now I'm torn between the i5-3550 (HD 4000 GPU, 77W) and the i5-3570K (77W) with that aftermarket cooler above. Already using a Fractal Design full tower case. Any guidance would be appreciated.

EDIT - if it will help to make an IB CPU recommendation, my WHS 2011 box currently functions as a file, SFTP, WebDAV, print, backup and media server. Also synchs with Dropbox and Crashplan for cloud backup. Backups are done on all Windows clients throughout my home network (including my Win 7 HTPC w/ Ceton tuner) and family PCs backed up over internet via Hamachi 2 VPN tunnel. Transcoding is done using both Air video server (to iPads) and building video transcoding of WHS 2011 remote access server. Am intrigued by the latest My Movies, particularly the Handbrake plug-in.

Edited by Jason

OK, if you're going to use the server to transcode you can definitely make use of an i5. You could probably make use of an i7 even, especially with the Handbrake plug-in. But that's your call; trade off a little longer transcode time for a more efficient and lower cost CPU, or don't :)

OK, if you're going to use the server to transcode you can definitely make use of an i5. You could probably make use of an i7 even, especially with the Handbrake plug-in. But that's your call; trade off a little longer transcode time for a more efficient and lower cost CPU, or don't :)

Thanks. Ikon -- would prefer to stay at the price point of an Ivy Bridge core i5 vs. an i7 as I'm not in a time crunch for transcoding on the server. However if I planned to put this CPU in a gaming machine, I'd probably opt for the expense of an i7. Having said that, would it be worthwhile going with the i5-3570K for the potential OC in the future (no immediate OC plan) and either a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus or Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO (slighlty more expensive) or i5-3550?

Am trying to find an i5 that's more enery efficient than my ancient 95W Core 2 quad Q9550 CPU and runs cooler even at idle. My Q9550 idles around ~50C and heats up a room.

Appreciate the advice. Perhaps I've missed the potential of CPUs I've purchased in the past, but I've traditionally not OC'd any CPU and have thus used stock HSFs. Is clear that won't be the case this time around. Seems many have recommended this HSF (Coolermaster 212 for Ivy Bridge LGA 1155). Seems huge.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835103099

Still trying to determine which Core i5 IB would be the best fit. Seems the 3450 (77W) or 3450s (65W) are out. The 3550 (77W) is tempting as I don't know that I'd benefit from any K-series (3570K, etc.). Am trying to limit the amoung of heat a Core i5 IB CPU will generate even at idle. While also not limiting myself to an i3. An i7 IB would be overkill as there's no video editing or gaming happening on this server box.

Now I'm torn between the i5-3550 (HD 4000 GPU, 77W) and the i5-3570K (77W) with that aftermarket cooler above. Already using a Fractal Design full tower case. Any guidance would be appreciated.

EDIT - if it will help to make an IB CPU recommendation, my WHS 2011 box currently functions as a file, SFTP, WebDAV, print, backup and media server. Also synchs with Dropbox and Crashplan for cloud backup. Backups are done on all Windows clients throughout my home network (including my Win 7 HTPC w/ Ceton tuner) and family PCs backed up over internet via Hamachi 2 VPN tunnel. Transcoding is done using both Air video server (to iPads) and building video transcoding of WHS 2011 remote access server. Am intrigued by the latest My Movies, particularly the Handbrake plug-in.

I have this cooler on an I5. Works great and very quiet.

Thanks pcdoc for all of your help. I think I've decided on the Ivy Bridge Core i5-3570K with the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo HSF. Also the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H with 16 GB of Corsair (2x8 GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz PC3 240 Pin DIMM RAM. Although 16 GB may be overkill now, I'd rather have the headroom and may leverage in event I ever decide to repurpose the machine down the road.