RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

USB through Hyper-V?

flyboyco

I have been able to eliminate a few Desktop PC's by virtulaizing with Hyper-V running in Server 2008 R2.

I have one more that I would love to virtualize. My Home automation PC. I am using an old Netbook running win7, but the issue is USB (or serial) pass-through. I need to be able to tie a controller into the VM. I had used a piece of software a couple years ago that worked, but the trial ran out and it was really expensive (seems like it was a couple hundred dollars for the software to pass through one USB port).

I am currently using 2 different controllers tied into the automation PC, so it would be great to be able to still use both.

If I have to, I would probably change VM systems, even though I am really comfortable with Hyper-V.

Any Thoughts?

-keith

i believe there is another product that does this that costs a lot less. There was a software bundle offered by Acronis around last Easter that included it (the software products were not all Acronis; not even the majority). I can't remember it's name. If I run across it again, I'll post it.

I found this info:

The page where the deal was posted (amazingly it's still up, although it's not valid anymore of course)

The website of the company that makes the product. It's called USB-to-Ethernet.

The hardware network connections work well. I use a software only system that allows me to plug a USB device into any PC in the house and it attaches to the VM. Works very well for upgrading iOS devices and syncing them initially with my Win7 VM running iTunes before they can use wireless syncing.

If you want to get deep, I started a thread on Hyper-V's ability to pass through USB devices when employing RemoteFX

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3229-remotefx/

Sent using Tapatalk

i believe there is another product that does this that costs a lot less. There was a software bundle offered by Acronis around last Easter that included it (the software products were not all Acronis; not even the majority). I can't remember it's name. If I run across it again, I'll post it.

I found this info:

The page where the deal was posted (amazingly it's still up, although it's not valid anymore of course)

The website of the company that makes the product. It's called USB-to-Ethernet.

IKON, thanks for the information. I think this may have been one that I had tried. Cost is the drawback, although cheaper than I remember, as they give you one port for $90.00, and charge for each additional port. If this is the one I used, it really did work great, but it is $160.00 for 2-ports, plus an additional $27 for upgrades.

welchworks,

I like this idea. The description is pretty vague. Can you use different ports for other machines?

You are using this for your insteon controller? Sounds exactly like what I need. I am using X10 (yes, i'm old fashioned) and a z-wave controller.

Will check back when this arrives! Thanks guys.

-keith

Timekills, I will look into this. It looks like the best solution, but maybe a little more involved than I am ready for.

I will try this in the future.

-keith

welchworks,

I like this idea. The description is pretty vague. Can you use different ports for other machines?

You are using this for your insteon controller? Sounds exactly like what I need. I am using X10 (yes, i'm old fashioned) and a z-wave controller.

Will check back when this arrives! Thanks guys.

-keith

Timekills, I will look into this. It looks like the best solution, but maybe a little more involved than I am ready for.

I will try this in the future.

-keith

sorry for the delay,

yes you can assign each port to a different pc, yes i was using it for insteon controller ,

Of the software solutions I tested I had the best success with USB over Network from www.fabulatech.com.

I have my hyper-v server running ihomeserver (itunes manager) and plug my iphone into any computer and it will sync easily. Also use a hard drive so I can backup the server.

It even works on Windows8.

USB over Network is what I use as well. There is a version specifically for VMs but I didn't find it necessary.

Sent using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

This is what i use with my Insteon/mcontrol usb controller to a VM works great 4 usb 2.0

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-Port-Device-Server-USB4000IP/dp/B0024G48MY

So, I got this one. Thanks for the recommendation.

Using it for a couple automation interfaces works great, the only issue is that i have to reconnect when the machine reboots.

Using it to sync my iPhones to a win 8 vm works pretty well, but every time I plug the device in, I have to use the software to attach the device to the vm. Not a big deal, but it would drive my wife crazy. It seems pretty slow as well. I think the wireless sync is actually faster... But some times you have to physically plug the phone in to sync.

It is also a pain when trying to update the phone, as you have to reconnect every time the phone restarts.

I have not been able to sync my iPads. When I plug one in, the win 8 vm shuts down. I don't know if it is because the iPad draws too much power, or if I have another issue. Still working through that.

This is a great way to connect multiple USB devices to hyper-v virtural machines. Thanks for the recommendation!