RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Dumbing Down WHS

LGer

NewEgg just had a special on WHS 2011 ($29.99 shipped). I bought a couple of copies with the intention of removing the "server" part of the OS (as much as possible) and using it as a Windows install. I'm thinking that I can make it LOOK like Windows and hoping that I can get it to ACT like Windows. I'm tired of trying to "speed-up" friends and family computers and paying $100 to upgrade their OS's (seems they never have any money).

I'm looking at this as a fun project and will not be overly disappointed if it fails (only $60 lost) but I was wondering if anyone else has tried this. Looking for a list of services (and other things) that could be turned off to free up resources. I know that the OS is fine as is but I want to eliminate the "server" bells and whistles.

This may sound silly but I'm retired and have tons of time on my hands..... I have 5 licensed copies of Windows 7 and only 2 of them are running in my home! Next nephew that comes over crying "HELP" gets a hacked-up version of WHS if I can make this work.

Thanks guys.

Leon

Two issues I can think of that you could run into. Some programs will refuse to install on a server version of Windows and some motherboards don't have drivers for server versions of Windows.

Next nephew that comes over crying "HELP" gets a hacked-up version of WHS if I can make this work.

Leon

Haha. What a novel idea. I think I might do the same. Either that or stick a HOSTS file entry in redirecting limewire.com to the FBI. :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Either that or stick a HOSTS file entry in redirecting limewire.com to the FBI.

What I meant by hacked is a licensed OS (WHS) running on his computer modified to look and act like a Windows operating system. I don't really understand what the quote means but if it means I would be creating something illegal please let me know. I don't do illegal.

What I meant by hacked is a licensed OS (WHS) running on his computer modified to look and act like a Windows operating system. I don't really understand what the quote means but if it means I would be creating something illegal please let me know. I don't do illegal.

:) No, No. Running a server OS as a workstation (personal PC) is not illegal by any means. I believe he was making a joke about ways to stop your nephew from 'messing up' his computer in the first place. (by using the server OS or using the hosts file (reporting file on Win7) to report the use of a program commonly used for pirating media (Limewire) (whose media often contain spyware and viruses) to the FBI :)

Ahhhhh - was worried there for a minute.

BTW..... I probably shouldn't have use "nephew" as an example. The last two computers that I tried to "speed-up" were my dad's (84 years young) and my neighbor's (7?). All that they use them for is surfing the web and checking email. I spent over 12 hours upgrading my neighbor's XP machine (she still had dial-up) and ended up giving my computer to my dad and building a new one (requiring me to purchase a new OS for myself). Doubt I could get away with installing WHS on a nephew's computer. These kids are pretty sharp (including knowing how to weasel a new OS out of their good old uncle :rolleyes: ).

These kids are pretty sharp (including knowing how to weasel a new OS out of their good old uncle :rolleyes: ).

Social engineering baby :)

The friends with no money get Ubuntu!

Love it! Tried giving dad Mint Linux but impossible to explain to him how to use a browser other than Internet Explorer. I even created all of the idiot buttons that I could think of.... :rolleyes: