RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Laptop Recommendations

jmwills

I have been tasked with finding a new laptop for my sister-in-law. The only requirements so far are 15". She had an HP that just died, and I mean died.

She does a fair amount of work with photo manipulation but other than that it's the regular Email, Web Surfing, etc type of activities.

I've always been partial to Dell's but that's just me. Intel i Series is a must but other than that, I am open to suggestions. I have a 14" Lenovo for a work laptop but I had rather keep the money stateside as much as possible/

That's your weekend homework! Thanks in advance.

(there was no good category to place this post in)

Personally, I would go with an HP again. I really like they're newer Core i series laptops. What's your budget? Ultrabook?

Oh. Too bad. I was going to suggest waiting a few months for more of the Ultrabooks to get released. I was doing that myself until the Surface was debuted. Now, I'm debating which one to get. At least I have a few months to ponder.

I bought my wife a 16" Lenovo with the AMD E-350/Radeon 6320 combo chip for $299 when Best Buy was having their specials last year. It's been brilliant.

She loves it (won't let me near it!), so WAF is high!

Here's the link for the upgraded model.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lenovo+-+15.6%26%2334%3B+Laptop+-+4GB+Memory+-+320GB+Hard+Drive/5272499.p?id=1218629044921&skuId=5272499

At work laptops are my only machine as I do not use a desktop at work. In the past 3 years I have been through 3 Dells, 1 lenovo, and one Toshiba in addition to working with about 3 Acers and 3 Sony's. I realize that all models are a bit different but the build quality of the Dells was the worst of the bunch (most recent about 6 months ago. All died in less than a year and all where problematic in terms of stability as well as the lowest in performance. The Lenonvo runs very stable but the keyboard is worst POS I have seen in awhile. It flexes so much that I end up using a docking station to do any serious work. Of all the ones I have messed with, and have had experience with, the Acers did pretty good as did the the Sony's (a bit more pricey). As for the Toshiba, it is the only that has lasted almost two years and still runs perfect. My only complaint (although minor) is they keyboard is very slippery which can get a bit annoying. Lastly, whatever you MFG you get, I would suggest an Intel Ivy Bridge as it will provide the best performance and battery life.

There you go,,,,the Man has spoken. The only reason for her not to go to Ivy Bridge is she keeps it plugged in all the time. For that difference she could get a Sandy and save a little bit of money.

I agree about the Lenovo keyboards. A solid POS.

I would get a Dell or Lenovo. They make products that last. HP is crap as they can't decide what they want to do with PC's and laptops. We have both Dell and Lenovo that have been in use for multiple years without issues.

There you go,,,,the Man has spoken. The only reason for her not to go to Ivy Bridge is she keeps it plugged in all the time. For that difference she could get a Sandy and save a little bit of money.

I agree about the Lenovo keyboards. A solid POS.

I've been very happy with my Acer 1810T and would consider other laptops from Acer -- though like many retail computers they are loaded with crapware so you'll have to spend a little time de-crapifying.