RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
IndyLux

Skydrive & Windows 8 Show Cloud Potential

IndyLux

In a recent post, Dave showed us how installing the SkyDrive app gave you access to your computers including shared/mapped folders such as those on your server. I installed it on my laptop running the release preview of Windows 8 and found a surprising behavior. In the pictures app, I see my HTPC listed and I can view all of my pictures natively in the app. It looks just like my local pictures, SkyDrive, Facebook, and Flickr tiles. It's fast and looks great! I don't see music or videos being populated, but those are natively indexed in SkyDrive yet. What a cool future where I can open my Music, Videos, and Pictures apps in Windows 8 and be able to see all of the files on my home server via SkyDrive.

Oddly, when I go to SkyDrive.com, I do not have access to the pictures folder on my server. Strange.

pcdoc

In a recent post, Dave showed us how installing the SkyDrive app gave you access to your computers including shared/mapped folders such as those on your server. I installed it on my laptop running the release preview of Windows 8 and found a surprising behavior. In the pictures app, I see my HTPC listed and I can view all of my pictures natively in the app. It looks just like my local pictures, SkyDrive, Facebook, and Flickr tiles. It's fast and looks great! I don't see music or videos being populated, but those are natively indexed in SkyDrive yet. What a cool future where I can open my Music, Videos, and Pictures apps in Windows 8 and be able to see all of the files on my home server via SkyDrive.

Oddly, when I go to SkyDrive.com, I do not have access to the pictures folder on my server. Strange.

I posted on that bug since the beta in my last two write ups. Very annoying. I have the same issue with looking at files on the local server. It has hit other sites as well and I just hope that they fix it for the release version. That would stop me all together from upgrading if I cannot access local content.

IndyLux

I posted on that bug since the beta in my last two write ups. Very annoying. I have the same issue with looking at files on the local server. It has hit other sites as well and I just hope that they fix it for the release version. That would stop me all together from upgrading if I cannot access local content.

I was thinking this is a FEATURE, not a bug. There are some issues with local library population, but I would almost prefer the cloud based app population from my home content which is what the Pictures app seems to be doing.

pcdoc

I was thinking this is a FEATURE, not a bug. There are some issues with local library population, but I would almost prefer the cloud based app population from my home content which is what the Pictures app seems to be doing.

My mistake, I interpreted your earlier post incorrectly, thought you where talking direct access not through skydrive. Your right Skydrive is very cool and access to all files is very cool.

sabihahmed

Right said by both the members. This should be consider as an additional feature not a bug and i believe they are working on it to come up with something better. SkyDrive is a good option. I had it few months back but don't why hotmail always become an headache for me :( I have been receiving annoying buys on my account so direly i had to shut it down. Now, i am using SugarSync and it works good for me!