RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Air Video Server

ebkayes

I installed Air Video Server on my WHS over the weekend. Since I do not have an HP Media Smart server I am always looking for applications that that will replace some of the functionality of the HP product. I think Air Video Server looks like a nice choice compared HP

I use DVDFab to rip my DVDs to VOB for playback by XBMC. I find it really good. It has been consistently reliable.

Stan

I am using Air Video, and it's pretty good. Well, I don't have big requirements, I just want to play some of my media on the iPhone without having to manually convert and manually sync them in. The Live convert feature is just the thing for that. So I get to save all the hassle, disk space and iPhone memory.

My only issues are that it doesn't play vobs and ogms. The ogms actually do work, since the conversion engine is ffmpeg, which reads ogms. The issue is that Air Video server itself isn't listing them. This is supposed to be fixed in the next release, but for now you can rename your ogms to avi and they work fine.

Roddy,

What are you using to convert your VOBs and to what format are you moving them too?

When I store a home movie on the server, I generally store it as a VOB. I am thinking of converting them to MPG4. What are your thoughts on the most flexible format for Air Video? I use DVDFAB as a ripping tool. But I am not sure what settings for a storage format to use for Movies to be streamed to iphones and the IPAD when it comes out?

I like Air Stream I am just trying to figure out the best ways to user it.

My wife is planning on buying an IPAD 3G come April. One of the reasons is she wants a personal way to watch moves. (Not the only reason just one) Let

ebkayes,
I've been using Air Video when it was suggested by ScottBakerTemp.I like it. Like you said, if you don't have the HP istream stuff, this works well. Since I do have the HP EX490, I let the Video Conversion utility monitor my avi folder and it converts it to mp4, then I grab that with Air Video. Then thing is that when Air Video is running the Live Conversion, my CPU cycles peak. But the program is much more reliable and cleaner then iStream.

John, I don't really get the CPU issue but then I'm on a homebuild. What I mean is it does use CPU (of course) but it isn't that much, since I assume it converts at 1x speed while it's streaming to the device. It does go up if I seek the video, but it's a temporary effect.

@ebkayes: I use MeGUI with some tweaked settings to convert to avc/aac mp4. Essentially I try to keep it compatible so it will play on the iPhone without conversion. This generally works for DVDs or lower res content. For HD content I use a higher quality setting and I turn off the iPhone compatible extensions to get better quality and compression. The thing I like about MeGUI is that it pretty much converts anything, and the workflow is very smooth and fast once it's set up properly. However, this is probably more trouble than the average Joe is going to want to go through so be warned, multiple hoops ahead if you go this way. Of course I'll be happy to help if you want to try it.