RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS v1 w/4x2TB drives data loss

toddac

Hello- I have the fun task of trying to save my boss's WHS v1 server he runs @ home. I put together the hardware and set it up for him at Christmas time 2010. He has a TON of movies on it with MyMovies and a large collection of family pics and work related files - QuickBooks - etc.

He does NOT have a backup of anything - he always promised he would hook up an external WD USB drive. IT didn't happen.

Scenario leading up to problems:

He was running MCEBuddy - to remove commercials and shrink down recorded TV and was having problems with the software. He decided to remove it and apparently during the uninstall process - it somehow "looked" like it was deleting everything from the D: partition. He tried to stop it and kill the process as it looked strange to be removing so many files and directories.

What he's left with now is close to 8TB of free space! The folders are all gone - everything is missing off of the DE spanned disks. He bought a copy of WinDelete to try to recover things. He can see tons and tons of files with WinDelete - and recovering them seems to work to an external USB drive....but later the jpg family photos or the Quickbooks file is corrupt. Everything that gets restored from the drive storage is corrupted. WinDelete can see everything and they show file size and type - but nothing can actually be opened later with a different PC.

I'm looking for suggestions for a service or utility that will work better than WinDelete. I don't think it was necessarily a fault of Drive Extender or anything else - other than a faulty uninstall. At least that's all the info I have as to what caused the problem.

Can a data recovery service help here? I know it's not RAID and that M$ has now ditched DE with WHS 2011....but this is what I have to work with. I've recommended not sending the box into a recovery service unless they can specifically state they have experience with WHS v1 (ie Drive Extender).

Any recommendations of services in the US and/or recovery utilities that will understand how to deal with DE would be greatly appreciated. Anyone with a similar story that has had success - I'd love to hear from you!

Many thanks!

Data recovery would run into the thousands of dollars, if not tens of thousands for that much data. I sure hope he is paying you for this work.

Awesome - I'll check out that site and see if I can get anything to help me move forward with this puzzle. Thanks!

Data recovery would run into the thousands of dollars, if not tens of thousands for that much data. I sure hope he is paying you for this work.

Yes, He has made some phone calls to some recovery agencies, although they don't seem to know much about Drive Extender and how WHS v1 spreads data across the drives. But to your point of several TB - yes it could cost him a ton. Right now he wants the family photos back and work files which isn't going to be more than 100-200GB. The videos he'll just have to rip again as it would be too $$$ to do anything more.

Thanks

Have you tried to pull out the drives and connect it to another machine? Because it's v1, you might access the data that way or if not, run the data recovery tool to a single drive only.

How does that work when not all of the drives are present? Aren't some directories and even files spread across all of the disks due to what Drive Extender does? Or if I run WinUnDelete from another machine - will it be able to see what was "supposed" to be there? Curious. I figured I'd have to leave the drives all cabled up in the original Antec case and not dare move them at all.

I wonder if you could boot with a Linux distro and gain access to the Windows shared folders long enough to copy the essential data off the server.

How does that work when not all of the drives are present? Aren't some directories and even files spread across all of the disks due to what Drive Extender does? Or if I run WinUnDelete from another machine - will it be able to see what was "supposed" to be there? Curious. I figured I'd have to leave the drives all cabled up in the original Antec case and not dare move them at all.

No, Drive Extender doesn't work that way. MS doesn't officially support the technique, but many people have indeed taken drives and connected them to other computers in order to recover their data.

Check this guide to recovering files after a server failure to see what folks are referring to: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/cf354b5d-b37b-4b7f-a0d5-8e573697777f

you have nothing to lose as long as you DO NOT write anything to the drives.

Be sure to unplug and power off the server and only remove one drive at a time and see what you can recover. The only problem I see is the use of the recovery tools you've already tried to use may have messed up the DE folders. Pretty much what I think Ken told you http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/is/whssoftware/thread/3618f7c7-1832-4a93-b0fe-0354090e33e7

• Like 2