RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

very slow transfer speed between WHS and win7 client

davebrust

Hello there,

I recently built a new server and I am experiencing extremely slow transfer speeds between the server and the win7 client.

After I completed the build and got everyone seeing one another on the network I began the process of moving music and pictures over.

The process of moving files to the server seemed adequately fast - although I usually walked away during this process.

Now when I try to access the server from the client through the shared folders the process is painfully slow. Just the task of navigating to the sub-folders takes a fair amount of time then actually trying to open a simple jpg seems to take about a minute of time. Playing music from the server works but it stutters to the point of not being usable.

However, when I accessed the server with my Denon DLNA receiver music played fine....same thing with the Xbox (pictures and music worked fine).

The server is wired to a gigabit router and the laptop is wireless, but I still get the problem even when I give the laptop a wired connection. The receiver and the xbox are wired connections as well.

When I google the issue I get countless entries for a similar problem but nothing has led me to a solution.

I am a bit of a novice when it comes to this stuff so if any other details are needed please let me know.

Thank you,

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jazzerjay

• jmwills

• ikon

• davebrust

There are a ton of factors in the mix here.

• What is your network layout? Most folks here would suggest an internal Gigabit switch to which your internal LAN is connected. Do not rely upon the router to do this.
  • Wired or wireless? Wired is better.
  • Adequate free space on the client/server. Speaks for itself
  • What method are you using to copy files? Copy and paste is horrible. Use something like TerraCopy, RoboCopy, or others.

2011 or V1?

Also, make sure your wireless is turned off on your laptop when going from wi-fi to LAN. (Some do not switch automatically)

Server specs? Drive specs? Hardware vs software RAID? No RAID?

Okay here is what I am working with:

Server using 2011 software

• Shuttle model SH61R4
  • Intel Core i3-2100
  • (2) Seagate Barracude ST31000524AS 1TB / 7200rpm / SATA / 6gb/s
  • 4GB Kingston HyperX Blu SDRAM

This is wired into a Netgear GS105 Gigabit switch --> then into a Netgear 600

The client computer that I am having trouble with is on a wifi connection using Win7 Home Premium.

Then to answer some of your preliminary questions:

• Plenty of free space on the drives as this is a brand new build.
  • Right now I use the copy/paste method. But the real issue is accessing the data on the server after it has been moved over.

Thanks for any help!

As a baseline test you should test the same systems but with the client wired to the switch. We can start to eliminate some problem areas that way.

The issue seems to be server side. Try replacing the ethernet cable from the server to the switch. Do you have any other switch you could replace the current one with?

Seems like a logical conclusion given that when I remote to the server from this laptop I can flip through pictures with a swiftness.

I will snag a network cable and a possibly a spare switch today from work to try that. Thanks for the continued help.

Hold the phone.....there are two clients involved? One works fine and the other one does not? If so, I'm betting on a bad NIC/driver in one client.

Hold the phone.....there are two clients involved? One works fine and the other one does not? If so, I'm betting on a bad NIC/driver in one client.

Exactly my thought too. When I read, "The client computer that I am having trouble with....", I figured he must have other clients that are working OK.