RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Surface Prices? $599 & $799?

IndyLux

READ ARTICLE BELOW BEFORE VOTING  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Are these prices accurate?

• No doubt! I bet my home server on it.
    • Looks about right to me.
    • Who knows? This is a stab in the dark.
    • No way in heck.
  2. 2. If accurate, what would you buy?

• Surface RT
    • Surface Pro
    • iPad
    • Android of some flavor
    • My money stays in my pocket

It has to be competitive to the iPad or it is doomed. Take a lesson learned from the XBox....take a loss on the equipment to build the ecosystem (sell Apps).

I agree. I think the RT tablet must be much cheaper than the ipad to build competition. I can understand the pro version being more expensive as it would be more for power users/businesses.

The prices posted aren't great but they are better than what I was expecting.

What will be interesting will be the pricing for Students -- especially Students in more technical/analytical programs. It would probably pay Microsoft to nearly give the Pro versions away to those students who WILL write many Apps and carry those with them into their work environment.

Does it have to be cheaper? Did they state a market for it? I'm betting not but this thing will surely get scooped up by enterprise. I don't think it has to be cheaper but it has to be a GREAT experience for sure. It needs core apps and time. I think MS can get the pricing right in time. I don't know why they don't offer the keyboard cover as an accessory in order to get the price down.

I completely agree. No way does it have to be cheaper than the iPad. If it was, that would certainly spur sales a lot (think Kindle Fire), but I don't feel it's a requirement.

On the other hand, I don't think they can sell the Pro for $799. It's got to be closer to $1000 I believe (I would love it if it was $799 :) ) I also don't think there's any need to sell the Pro for $799, because the corporate world is going to snap it up. A lot of IT depts have been struggling with how to incorporate iPads and other tablets into their infrastructure. The Surface Pro could be the answer to their dreams.

$799 for the Intel-based Surface? I'll take it!

Now I'll wake up and find that the price is comparable with other Intel-based Slates (i.e. $1000) and it's only available in the US...

I really want to know what someone is planning to do with this in the corporate environment. Other than check email.

IT pros, when someone asks you to put their ipad on the network, what are they citing as a use case?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

They do use them for email, but also to take notes at meetings, to connect to projectors or large flat screens to do presentations, as reference 'manuals' at meetings (instead of carrying a pile of paperwork). Basically, anything they currently use a laptop to do.

$799 for the Intel-based Surface? I'll take it!

Now I'll wake up and find that the price is comparable with other Intel-based Slates (i.e. $1000) and it's only available in the US...

I will take more than one if the i5 is only $799.

I really want to know what someone is planning to do with this in the corporate environment. Other than check email.

IT pros, when someone asks you to put their ipad on the network, what are they citing as a use case?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

They do use them for email, but also to take notes at meetings, to connect to projectors or large flat screens to do presentations, as reference 'manuals' at meetings (instead of carrying a pile of paperwork). Basically, anything they currently use a laptop to do.

That, and a lot more. A lot of organizations are moving to VDI/RDP or using citrix. With those technologies you have access to all kinds of applications. I wouldn't be surprised if some end users would give up a laptop for the surface.