RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
vinylfreak

MS Surface Keynote Video

vinylfreak

Mr_Smartepants

Well, now we can see why they were taking Win8 in the direction they did.

I still see this hardware product as a method for RDP to a "real" desktop machine.

ikon

Well, now we can see why they were taking Win8 in the direction they did.

I still see this hardware product as a method for RDP to a "real" desktop machine.

Really? The Pro version has an i5 with up to 240GB SSD, and a tactile keyboard available. How is that not a 'real' computer?

Mr_Smartepants

Diablo 3? No.

Flight sim? No.

Full video non-linear editing? Possibly.

3 VMs running at once? Doubt it.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's an awesome piece of tablet hardware and I'll probably buy one to replace my netbook, but I think it's still aimed as a consumption device.

Think of how cool this would be with a "splashtop"-like RDP interface for a hexa-core I7 monster box? The tablet as the input device.

vinylfreak

Really? The Pro version has an i5 with up to 240GB SSD, and a tactile keyboard available. How is that not a 'real' computer?

I think the top out for storage on the Pro is 128.

The Pro version is def a full blown pc. Sinofsky compared it to the best Ultrabook specs.

They showed it running Lightroom and said it could handle Photoshop also.

The video chip-set on the Core I-5 IvyBridge is very good.

Whether or not it can handle Diablo 3 or flight Sim , I'm really not sure . I'm not a gamer.

I would venture to guess that Video editing would be possible.

Not sure what the editing performance would be like though.

ikon

Just watched the video. The biggest storage is 128GB, as you said.

I agree it is a real PC. Not every PC does gaming or video editting. For a huge number of office workers this would be more than adequate. All they would need/want at their desk is a DisplayPort monitor and maybe a mouse. And with a USB adapter you could have direct network connectivity without using WiFi.

IndyLux

Even the mouse is a maybe when you can use the symantic touchpad AND the screen. If you want to RDP to a 'real' machine, why not just get the RT version of the tablet?

ikon

I agree. For remote access and consumption the RT version would be plenty. It's the Pro version that has all the excitement for me. I'm really hoping it will spur the other companies to step up their game. Who knows what they might come up with.