RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Core2 Duo vs Core2 Quad

Renny

Like a lot of people I cascade my gear through a number of different builds. This means that a lot of my old stuff ends up in the WHS.

While I plan to pick up a bunch of parts for a new purpose built server on my trip to the US later this year, I would appreciate advice as to my current options to reconfigure my WHS 2011 build.

I am currently running a Core2 Duo E8200 with 8gb of DDR 2 ram.

http://ark.intel.com...z-1333-MHz-FSB)

I have a Core2 Quad 8200 in my wive's PC which is throwing a lot of different BSOD errors and which I intend to scrap, bar the CPU

http://ark.intel.com...z-1333-MHz-FSB)

So my question is, would my WHS 2011 machine benefit from swapping to the Q8200?

Does WHS make use of 4 cores?

I note that the Q processor is clocked lower than the Duo and has a higher TDP (95 vs 65 watts) so I would want to see an appreciable performance boost for for the extra power consumption as it runs 24/7 of course.

Also, I dont plan on doing any virtualisation on the WHS so that is not an issue.

Appreciate any thoughts

Renny

Edited by Renny

Unless you do a lot of transcoding, with an app that is multi-core aware, I can't see that a quad-core would be of any benefit. In fact, with the lower clock rate, it might perform a little worse.

Thanks IKON, I suspected as much. I prefer not to transcode anything, I prefer to get the player at the other end of the stream/playback just work with the native format.

Other opinions anybody?

I pretty much agree with ikon in that it has allot to do with what you are doing. As the OS will take some advantage of it, you might some I/O gain but nothing measurable unless you run background transcoding apps or multiple other apps. I switched mine to a quad several months ago and truthfully, I only notice a difference when i tax it with streaming, transcoding, and other misc things. If you have it, use it but do not spend money on the upgrade. That is my two cents.

Thanks Mike. Might use the Q8200 in an untangle/super router build instead just for some fun

Thanks Mike. Might use the Q8200 in an untangle/super router build instead just for some fun

That is allot of power for a super router. Let me know how that works out.

I just want to give the concept a run. Would never use it full time. Probably cost $100/year to run in power costs

An HP Microserver makes a great little super router (unTangle)

It could certainly have plenty of storage room :D :D

I was surprised at the amount of disk space used by the install. Not sure I am going to stick with it....might give Astaro a try.