RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Help with BSODs

IndyLux

Great tip on Belarc. Lots of info. Unfortunately, no new answers.

And I had a kernal error / BSOD reboot at 5AM when I wasn't even home and the monitor was off.

I did a disk cleanup yesterday and saw that there was about 300 megs of cache dumps. Any of you know where they're stored and how to analyze them?

jmwills

I would start tearing that build apart and put it back together....you know..."Frankenstein it".

Yeah, I kind of did that a month ago. I feel like it has to be one of the billions of capaciters on the motherboard. Is it crazy to buy a replacement (same model) to see if it helps?

And I had a kernal error / BSOD reboot at 5AM when I wasn't even home and the monitor was off.

You weren't home at 5am?? Oh wait, that's right, you have some vague affiliation with the medical community, don't you? :D :D

UPDATE: When I ran memtester before, it didn't find anything. I read somewhere that I should let MemTester run for more than a couple cycles. I let it run all day and at some point, it must have rebooted because it was back in Windows when I woke up. Think this points to a RAM problem? That would be an easy fix.

jmwills

I thought about RAM yesterday when posting but the Stop Error (BSOD) should have referenced it. An easy fix indeed.

It's worth a try. It could still be something else (e.g. quirky power supply) that caused the reboot, but it's a start. BTW, do you have the system plugged into a UPS? Your local power could cause problems too; a UPS would help mitigate that.

It IS on a UPS. Even if the memory doesn't fix it, I only have 2 gigs in that machine so I don't mind getting more ram and replacing what's in there. I did have an incident in the past where I questioned my power supply, but it turned out that the case wire for the power button had fallen off the motherboard (HOW?!?) so I may try another power supply in the future if the memory doesn't fix it. This all makes me feel like less of a PC builder.

Nah. We all get problem children like this once in a while. Some PC's just don't want to grow up and fly right. ;)