RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Help with BSODs

IndyLux

Hi guys,

I'm still getting occasional BSODs on my HTPC. I'm looking in my event viewer and there are several events that seem interesting, but I don't know how to interpret the codes or debug.

I downloaded the microsoft debugger, but I've never used it and don't know how to proceed.

Can any of you fine gentlemen help?

Thanks,

Chris

-------------

Here are a few examples of the 'Kernal Power Errors'....

BugcheckCode 80

BugcheckParameter1 0xfffff8800e5dc5d4

BugcheckParameter2 0x0

BugcheckParameter3 0xfffff8000314f9ae

BugcheckParameter4 0x2

BugcheckCode 30

BugcheckParameter1 0xffffffffc0000005

BugcheckParameter2 0xfffffa800188cdcc

BugcheckParameter3 0x1

BugcheckParameter4 0x3

BugcheckCode 30

BugcheckParameter1 0xffffffffc0000005

BugcheckParameter2 0xfffff80003165c64

BugcheckParameter3 0x1

BugcheckParameter4 0x2210f929f

jmwills

Is there an nVidia Graphics card in this equation? If not I would start running chkdsk on all the drives to start eliminating HDD issues.

All I've ever done with those codes is search for them using google or Bing. Sometimes that helps; sometimes not.

Do you guys know of any software to check for driver updates beyond windows update? I've updated everything I know to update.

Do you guys know of any software to check for driver updates beyond windows update? I've updated everything I know to update.

There are a number of so-called driver update sites on the web, but I don't trust them as far as I can throw them. To me they're pretty much snake-oil salesmen, trying to give you malware in the back door while promising great service through the front.

The Intel driver update utility was something I tried last night. I think it found a few things to update. As for the snakeoil products, I did try one (maybe two) just to see what they said and they both flagged EVERY Intel driver I had installed then pointed me to things that wouldn't install or were older than what I had. They also pointed to the Realtek HD Audio drivers that I do not use (I use Intel HD Audio) as well as some kind of Intel SSD rapid architecture thing that it wanted me to install 'prior' to the OS. Too late for that NOW. We'll see if the stuff I updated makes a difference. BTW Checkdisk scans were all 100% normal as was a MemTest so that's good!

jmwills

Here's what I do. Run Belarc Advisor to get an accurate inventory of your system. The report will show every piece of hardware and the current driver version. Research each one at the manufacturer's site and see what is available. I do no trust that update utilities.