RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

can i hot-swap sata drive in caddy?

freightgod

freightgod

Hi, first post, and yes, I've searched extensively here and on internet, and can't find the answer to what I hope is a simple question:

I have a 2 TB sata drive in a generic drive caddy which I am using for my server backups. I want to rotate it daily with a second, identical drive for the added security of offsite storage.

Do I have to power down the server before doing the swap? Of course I'd prefer to do a "hot-swap" but can't find an option on the Dashboard to 'safely remove' the hard drive. I realize I can't just eject the drive from the caddy while it's still spinning!

Thanks in advance for any clues. If you monitor multiple WHS forums than you will probably see this same query posted again; I'm not dissing anybody, just hoping for a quick response.

Go into Disk Manager (right-click on Computer, select Manage) then select Disk Management. Find the Disk x (x corresponds to the number of the drive in the caddy) and right-click on the disk number and select Properties. In the popup window select the Policies tab. If there is a Quick Removal option listed. click it to check it.

If there isn't a Quick Removal option, you could try connecting the drive to an eSATA port and reboot the system to get it to show. I've had mixed success with this. The idea is to get the drive to have as little info cached as possible, so you can remove it. without losing data. Speaking of which, make sure to uncheck any Write Caching options for that drive. You should also disable Indexing of the drive.

After all that, what I've done very successfully for more than 2 years, is to just make sure the drive has had any active data written to it for a half hour and then simply pull the drive. I know you said you can't simply eject the drive from the caddy, but actually you can. The only concern is that there is no data waiting to be written, or any open files.

freightgod

Thank you for this reply.

I see now that if I connect to my server through Remote Desktop I have access to the 'safeley remove hardware' icon, and that spins down the drive.

You know what? I completely missed the part where you said you were looking for the removal option in the DashBoard. My bad. If I'd noticed that I would have said right away to use RDP.

Question: you're actually seeing the SATA drive in the Safely Remove Icon in the System Tray?

freightgod

You know what? I completely missed the part where you said you were looking for the removal option in the DashBoard. My bad. If I'd noticed that I would have said right away to use RDP.

Question: you're actually seeing the SATA drive in the Safely Remove Icon in the System Tray?

Yes, all my sata drives are listed there.

I also have all my SATA drives listed under the "Safely remove hardware" system icon.

However, as I've written elsewhere, provided that you are using AHCI to connect your SATA drives, then you don't need to RDP into your server to access this function. You can just yank out the drives (provided, of course, you're not doing a server backup at the time!).

So far, I've never had any problems with this. I've been using AHCI since day 1, and a pair of removable drives in an ICYdock enclosure for a year.

I'm now very curious why I don't see them in my System Tray. I never have AFAIR. Not only that, but even with drives that I can see in the removal tool, I have to be certain that there are no open files or it won't let me remove them.