RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
flyboyco

2.5" SSD in N40L

Joe_Miner

-snip- I would much rather find a way to install the ssd in one of the 4 removable trays and leave the DVD in the 5.25, but it doesn't look like that's an option at this point.-snip-

Have you checked out the ICY DOCK MB882SP-1S-2B 2.5" to 3.5" SATA 6Gb SSD & Hard Drive Converter / Adapter / Bracket

Be sure to use the HSS Affiliate Link Newegg.com

cskenney

Hi, I just wanted to share my solution as It works great for myself.

I simply plug the SSD in the backplane like a USB pen.

http://scriptimus.wo...th-a-ssd-drive/

The option for either using the ESATA cable from the back or using an additiona SATA cable inside the case is so you still had the 4 drive bays available. I did the Joe Miner mod and secured my SSD below the 3.5" ODD bay in the top. I ran a SATA cable from the drive down the the open spot on the motherboard. Now there is still room if I want to add something in the ODD bay.

Not sure I would want to leave the SSD suspended in air by the connector. It may not weigh much but it still makes me (personally) uncomfortable.

flyboyco

cskenney, I agree. It needs to be secured. My wife told be to super glue it...

I am going. To leave it, and check it occasionally when i remember. I promise to let you all know When it falls out.

-keith

AndrewBarnes

Not sure I would want to leave the SSD suspended in air by the connector. It may not weigh much but it still makes me (personally) uncomfortable.

Thanks for clarifying the bay issue, Kenny. In my situation, I'm not filling all my bays at present.

In my case the SSD Drive is so rigid I do not believe it could ever fall out. I say if your drive wobbles in any way then don't use this solution.

I know it's rather unorthodox but it works great for me so I'm happy.

Let me know how you get on flyboyco.

2percenter

If youre interested in having the dvd and the ssd in one slot, check the below. Only disadvantage is that you need a slim dvd...for sure this would be available in the us as well...

http://www.amazon.de/ORICO-5223SS-Festplatten-Einbaurahmen-Lauwerkeinschub-Schächte/dp/B005INXF0G

Regards

By the way, if youre short on sata parts, there is a small cheap controller which works with whs 2011, about 20usd

http://www.amazon.de/Digitus-DS-30103-Controller-Express-Karte/dp/B0017JJ040/ref=sr_1_1?s=ce-de&ie=UTF8&qid=1347688021&sr=1-1

Have this one installed in an esxi server and passed it through to a whs2011vm. Works great.

Russtavo

I have been searching, but must be using the wrong terms because I know y'all have done this.

I want replace the stock 250GB drive with an SSD.

How do I install a 2.5" drive in my Microserver without loosing the DVD drive? Is there a cord or bracket to install it in one of the front slots, or is there another SATA slot on the mboard?

I have not removed the HDD brackets to look at the board yet.

The AdaptaDrive will allow the 2.5" SSD in the 3.5" caddies :)

jackboo89

Hi I am new here :-) just bought a n54l after seeing the video on yt and have installed whs 2011 on a 2.5 hdd velcrod in the odd bay all up and running ok the 4 bays on the front are empty at the moment I intend to put 2x2tb and then another 2x3tb but I have read somewhere that it causes issues as you can only have 4 drives but I will have 5 with the os drive , do I need to mod the bios don't realy want to and the bios has a date of some time in 2014 so quite new :-)

ikon

You can have 5 drives. Search the forums for posts by Joe_Miner.