RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server MB suggestion that supports USB3 and Xeon E3 1230V2

Smiley

So I'm going to be getting a Xeon E3 1230 v2 Cpu for my Home Server. I was going to use the SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-F-O LGA 1155 but it only supports USB 2.0 and my case supports USB3.0 so I'd like to find a board that also has USB3. Anyone got any suggestions?

Guest no-control

buy an add in card for usb 3.0. Finding a quality server board with USB 3.0 on it is going to be difficult. Might want to look at the workstation boards like the Asus P8C WS

But be careful about USB3 add-in cards. There seem to be a lot of them that don't perform well. I have a WD card that seems to work pretty well, but it's the only 1 of 4 different models I've tried that is good.

I've found the WD SuperSpeed PCIe USB 3.0 card to work well in my MicroServer with a number of external drives including Seagates GoFlex 4TB USB 3.0. (there's a certain "cool" factor running a Seagate on a WD card :) )

I've also found that on the DeskTop Z77's the Intel 3.0 drivers can be installed manually for Server platforms but I was only getting USB 2.0 speeds or just slightly above but not 3.0 speeds.

I ws thinking of adding a card as was suggested. But i'd like to find a card that not only has usb 3.0 ports on it but will allow me to connect the usb 3.0 port on my case to the card as well since the MB doesn't have the USB3 connector.

I ws thinking of adding a card as was suggested. But i'd like to find a card that not only has usb 3.0 ports on it but will allow me to connect the usb 3.0 port on my case to the card as well since the MB doesn't have the USB3 connector.

I don't know of any that can do that without doing a ghetto mod.

Interesting. I've never seen cards like those.

Good luck. Let us know if you actually do get USB3 speeds from it/them.