RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Issue with Highpoint RocketRAID 2720SGL

SirisC

The motherboard: http://www.portwell.com/products/detail.asp?custchar1=wade-8156

Chipset is Q965.

When I attach the 2720 card to the motherboard I can't get it to boot, after the screen where the highpoint card scans for devices I get a blank screen. I've tried disconnecting all drives except the boot drive connected to either the motherboard or the highpoint card. I have been unable to get past this point with any drive configuration. Is there any way to flash the latest firmware if I can't get it to boot off of anything when the card is installed?

If there aren't any solutions, are there any recommendations for low cost motherboards (lga 755 or one with built in cpu, formfactor isn't important) that don't have issues with this card, or should I just return it?

Are the data drives brand new / non-initialized ?

When I deployed the 2720, I had 3 brand new 2TB and 2 reused 500GBs - on 2720 boot, only the 500GB drives were seen on the 2720 boot screen.

I changed cables, drives and repeated multiple times to no avail - thinking I had drive/cable/card failure or something.

I finally just let the boot proceed and voila, the drives were there in the management software and everything was fine.

Just let the system boot through and see what the results are...

Oops - just reread your post - I system boot off a regular drive so perhaps "non-initialized/non-showing" data drives is not the problem.

Edited by kcormier
  • Like 1

That thread is what lead me to believe people on this forum would know more about this than I do. It is also where I got the information to try the 3 following methods to update the firmware.

So far I've tried:

1: dissconnnect all drives, boot from dos usb drive with firmware. Result: blank screen after raid bios screen

2: dissconnect all drives except windows drive connected to motherboard. Result: blank screen after raid bios screen

3: dissconnect all drives except windows drive connected to raid card. Result: blank screen after raid bios screen

Writing out this response led me to realize I haven't confirmed that the usb drive is bootable, and after checking it apparently isn't bootable. And after getting the usb drive to boot without the card in, I put the card in and get the exact same result.

HighPoint customer service gave me a useful piece of info.

If you press the end key at the right time (or repeatedly until it boots to dos like I did), it will skip the card's bios and allowed me to boot from the usb drive and update the firmware. :)

Unfortunately now that the firmware is updated it crashes when it boots before I can tweak any settings.

P.S.: I usually avoid double posting but it looks like this forum has a time limit on editing posts.

Which slot do you have the card in and what is the boot order of the BIOS? The blank screen or hand is typical of the system BIOS if it tries to boot from the RR card.

There is only one slot on the motherboard (mini-itx) and it is a pci express x16. I've set the boot order in the bios to boot off the usb drive.

Highpoint customer service told me to press the end key to bypass the raid card in the boot process, and I was able to use that by rapidly pressing the end key until it got past the raid bios and was then able to update the firmware.

What you are describing is an issue between your motherboard and the RR. Can you get to the system BIOS with the card in? If so, try setting IDE in your BIOS and make sure the card is not in the boot sequence and see what happens.