RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

EX495 - Win7 Reporting More Drive Space Free Than Available

dabretty

Hello -

Sorry if this has already been posted somewhere, I searched but could not find anything.

I added a second hard drive to my new EX495 yesterday (a new 1.0 TB to go with the 1.5 TB in it, totalling 2.5 TB of space).

Everything seemed to go fine yesterday, the drive was "added" in the console and the console itself is very happy with it. But now a mapped drive to the WHS from my Win7 PC shows the following:

drivesizeproblem.png

I'm not sure where both pieces of information are coming from. It's almost as if the free space count is coming from the WHS, and the available is coming from some sort of "old memory" of what the share size was pre-install. To check this, I disconnected the drive and re-mapped it ... same result.

At the end of the day I can still copy files to/from it okay. But it's just a little bit annoying to open up My Computer and have this drive "error" staring back at me.

Thanks for any help!

Brett

1.34 TB is the actual size of the 1.5 TB. Pooled drives total the sum all the drives in the pool. But Windows can only recognize 1 drive in this case. So it's saying you have [pool size] on this single drive. I'm assuming you have very little on that server as of that screen shot.

dvn -

Absolutely, there is little on the server at this point. I'm still in the process of loading things onto it, so I suppose I'll just pass through the original drive size and this cosmetic error will just go away. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I also have the same problem on my Frankenbuild server. I started off with just the one 1.34TB storage pool and soon needed to upgrade, another 1TB drive went in together with a 750GB I had. The result, more space free than the original pool size! You would have thought the system could cope with this and adjust accordingly? Any help would be greatly received.

This behaviour was introduced in PP1 IIRC to address the problems of having small primary disks which made it hard to copy large amounts of data in. Previously, it would show the free/total size of the actual D: partition, so that would be something like 60/80 on an 80GB primary disk, excluding the C: partition. People with large 500GB video collections would not be able to copy them in, since Windows would just return "Insufficient disk space", regardless how many other disks were available to store the data.

In PP1, they changed it so that the free space reported is on the whole pool, although they still were not able to report the total pool size, I am guessing it's a technical limitation of NTFS or CIFS or both. But at least now you can copy large collections in without having to manually select and copy subsets over and over.

I know that doesn't help you at all, just trying to share the reasons why it is the way it is...