RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
PCEddie

Ideas/Thoughts on Sharing Data Between Two WHS2011

jmwills

I think CrashPlan is a good idea also, but dont have any experience with VPN, which is probably a better solution.

LogMeIn Free is going away in the next few weeks. They are going to a paid plan. I am using it for several things and got the email from them a few weeks ago.

???? I never got that email and see nothing on the site about Free going away.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Crashplan is not going to work because it does not copy the files over directly so they are usable. You would have to restore the files on the second computer from the back up in order to access them. I agree that setting up VPN and using AlwaySync is probably the best method right now.

pcdoc

I agree with ITTOG. You need some sort of direct copy. Stick with VPN's.

PCEddie

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

VPN: I am not comfortable with opening ports on my network. I have done that before when learning about VPN and using the native ability to remote into my WHS v1.

CrashPlan: I use it to backup both WHS boxes. This will not work for me due to speed to transfer the file will be slow. I would rather stick with using CrashPlan for backup.

Pogoplug: The price is right and interested in the technology. This idea got me thinking could I use Skydrive or DropBox?

Skydrive: I have access to 25GB of storage but limited to uploading files that are no greater than 2GB per file.

Dropbox: I have access to 12.75 of storage with the potential to have access to 16 GB of storage. I am limited to file sizes of 300MB per file when uploading files through Dropbox's web site. By using Dropbox's application, I am to upload files of any size up to my storage limit.

I have setup Dropbox on each WHS but I am running into a issue of having Dropbox running while not logon to WHS 2011.

Does anyone have a tutorial of setting up Dropbox on a WHS 2011 and have it run while not logon to WHS 2011?

jmwills

You open ports for Remote Access, right? VPN is one of the most secure ways to do this.