RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
PCEddie

Ideas/Thoughts on Sharing Data Between Two WHS2011

PCEddie

I am looking for a solution to share data between two WHS 2011 boxes located at different places. The data I would need to share/transfer would be file sizes up to 4.7GB. I was thinking of Dropbox or Skydrive but they have a file size limit. The means of transferring data would be through Time Warner. I do have Logmeinfree and noticed a way to connect computers as a network but have not tried to setup that feature. Has anyone tried to setup a network within Logmeinfree and connect computers together in a network? If so, how did it work?

I am trying to look for free if not low cost solutions.

Thanks for any assistance.

jmwills

How about a VPN? It will not be the fastest thing around, but it will be free and you totally control it.

ikon

Is CrashPlan an option here? I haven't used it so I don't know for sure. I just recall seeing a number of posts where people are using it to copy files from one computer to another. And, I believe it's free for that use.

jcollison

ikon is right, CrashPlan is a really good option here and it is free for this kind of usage. The one draw back is that it is not officially supported for WHS 2011. I was testing it a couple of weeks ago and never got the testing finished. Guess I need to get back at it!

jmwills

Is there a data transfer cap on CrashPlan?

PCEddie

Is CrashPlan an option here? I haven't used it so I don't know for sure. I just recall seeing a number of posts where people are using it to copy files from one computer to another. And, I believe it's free for that use.

I use CrashPlan to backup files to CrashPlan. I am looking for a way to view files without saving them in a special format.

jmwills

Create the VPN and use AllwaySync to move the files. The files will be in their original format.

PCEddie

Is there a data transfer cap on CrashPlan?

No, it is unlimited data transfer.

Create the VPN and use AllwaySync to move the files. The files will be in their original format.

That is a good idea. I will look into that option.

I was looking at a Pogoplug. Has anyone used this product?

ikon

I use CrashPlan to backup files to CrashPlan. I am looking for a way to view files without saving them in a special format.

As I mentioned, I haven't used CrashPlan, but I had gotten the impression that, besides backing up, it could also copy files from one PC to another, without using a special format. Am I mistaken?

flyboyco

I think CrashPlan is a good idea also, but dont have any experience with VPN, which is probably a better solution.

LogMeIn Free is going away in the next few weeks. They are going to a paid plan. I am using it for several things and got the email from them a few weeks ago.