RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Trick Windows Home server into thinking network shared folders are DRIVES

alex1002

Is there anyway to trick windows home server into thinking shared folders on my SAMBA server are actual drives. I need this for my movies, and other apps.

Best way to do that is to "MAP" a networked drive on whatever Client PC you need the "Drive" to appear to.

Go to My Computer > Tools > Map Network Drive ...
Select your Drive Letter, Browse to whatever folder (can be the Root folder of a whole drive) or Share you want to have a Drive Letter, Select OK, the Finish and Windows will create a section in My Computer called Network Drives. You will see the Drive letter you selected there along with a description of what it is ACTUALLY, and you can access it just like a Drive.

You have to repeat this process for each Client PC you want this Drive to appear.

Hope that helps,
GDog

I know about mapping, but Windows Home Server still knows those are network share. I want a way to trick windows thing, eg \\map\sharedmapped > Z:\ is a actual hard drive inside the machine.

I don't think that's possible. It would also invoke alot of network traffic and problems with the way the the server handles duplication and shares and such. If that other computer were to go offline, even for a second, it would send the server into a tizzy thinking the drive failed and trying to duplicate all content to another drive, and then if the drive were to show back up, I don't think it would work.

In short, I wouldn't want to use it even if you could fake it.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you talking about the application My Movies? I use UNC paths in My Movies to monitor my watched folders under folder monitoring. I can configure either the WHS path or I also still have a NSLU2 with a hard drive that has some video stored on it. Both can be included in the monitored folders.