RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

Access your Windows Home Server folders from SkyDrive!

pcdoc

Nice write up Dave. Had heard of this but had never tried it. Thanks for the information and I will give this a try.

gcoupe

This works (on WHS 2011, not on WHS v1), but there are a few issues with it. First, Microsoft doesn't support the SkyDrive client on WHS 2011, so there is no guarantee that it will not cause problems, or continue working in future releases of the client. Second, it doesn't expose the Shared Folders of WHS 2011 directly, only the Public folders. Thirdly, it seems as though you have to be logged into the Administrator Desktop for the SkyDrive client to expose the system to fetch files in SkyDrive. So it's a bit of kludge. An unsupported kludge.

Edited by gcoupe

Dave

Great info. I've updated my article to reference this forums post.

ikon

Left a comment Dave. It works really well, and it's surprisingly fast. The Security Code check is a great feature.

fredload

Loaded SkyDrive onto my WHS2011 box and it seems to work great. Thanks for the info Dave.

DragonMage

This also seems to give access (at least in firefox browser) to any file on any of my computers with the client app installed and PC running, even network mapped drives on my PC at work??

ikon

If your work PCs have the client then I guess it makes sense they would show up. I think the idea of the client is that it will go out through a firewall from the inside and avoid getting blocked.

jcollison

It is showing mapped network drives DragonMage. I have the Drobo FS mapped on my 2011 box and it displays and downloads files just fine through this feature. Supported or not, it seems to be working rather well. I will keep using it and thanks for the write up Dave.

IndyLux

I can confirm that networked drives map fine. I think I'll put it on my HTPC which never goes to sleep so I always have access.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• urik1488993270
      By urik1488993270
      On the Surface RT, you can't sync files from SkyDrive to Windows RT (unless they're OneNote notebooks, which can sync and be available offline, meaning that this is perfectly possible on RT — even in Windows Store apps). The only way to take files with you is to open them in Office; any changes you made get synced back when you reconnect, making a mockery of the idea that Windows RT can't sync to SkyDrive. It's just that Microsoft hasn't enabled it.

See:  http://www.zdnet.com/windows-rts-achilles-heel-cloud-connections-7000009933/

Has Windows 8.1 resolved this issue?
    • dvn
      By dvn
      I was wondering if someone could help me out. I want to make sure I understand what is happening here.

I am trying to sync folders between SkyDrive and Dropbox. I used the command mklink to create what appears to be a sync relationship, but I'm not sure this is what I've accomplished. I rather suspect that no matter which folder I drop a file in, it ends up (eventually in the case of larger files) in the destination Dropbox folder.

This is the command I used:
      C:\Users\Rich\SkyDrive>mklink /j mySyncFolder C:\Users\Rich\Dropbox\mySyncFolder (The Dropbox folder existed prior to issuing the command, although I found that I could create a Dropbox folder afterwards and the link would still work.)

What I observed was this: when I deleted the linking folder (terminology?) from SkyDrive, as long as the Dropbox folder had finished uploading/syncing the files, all files remained in Dropbox folder. It made no difference that some files were added via SkyDrive and others directly, all files seemed to have found their way to the Dropbox folder and so remained once the SkyDrive folder was deleted.

My question is this: Can someone comment - This a one-way link relationship, right? Such that a file dropped into either folder ends up in the destination folder only? There is no syncing going on here, only linking to a folder to which all files eventually migrate to?
    • Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      I haven't found anything on the internet to enable me to put two SkyDrive Accts on WHS2011 so I thought I'd ask here for ideas...............

I have installed my personal SkyDrive Acct onto WHS2011 as PCDoc outlined in: SkyDrive on WHS 2011-One install is all you need but I would also like to backup/sweep my wife's SkyDrive Acct also onto WHS2011

The only solution I have tought of is to add her account to a VM or even my HTPC and use Allway Sync to move those files to a folder in my pictures directory on WHS2011.