RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Media Platform Changes in Windows 8

cclayton

Has anyone read the post

Building a rich and extensible media platform from the Building Windows 8 Blog? There is a Video at the bottom of the post the demos some of the new features. None of the information in this post was announced at E3. Some of the things I found interesting are below.

In Windows 7 Microsoft added GPU decoding of certain video types if you had a supported GPU. Windows 8 adds onto this feature if you have a Direct x 10 compatible GPU. There are more Video formats included including some optional codecs that the GPU can support, and have updated the feature to include decode, encode and transcode. These are API calls so it will need to be written into the apps your using.

They also mention that We will be able to add containers and codecs to the Windows 8 media apps. This means we will be able to add MKV support to windows 8 metro Video and Music apps. This is something the Zune software there based on was not able to do.

Audio will now be offloaded to the audio card like they are offloading video to the GPU. Microsoft claims that this will help with battery life.

There are new features to help Video calls happen faster. This should make Skype work better on windows 8.

There is a new meta tag that is being added to MP4 Video files to set Orientation This will make the side was videos people shoot show up in the right orientation when played on windows 8.

Play to is updated to have easier setup and you can now send HTML5 video to a DLNA receiver. This is not the Play to Xbox feature and DLNA support is being added to Xbox in the fall update.

Yes, I read it, and like most of these novel-length posts, there's a few nuggets of interesting news. Unfortunately, very often, "interesting" takes on the overtones of the old Chinese curse: "may you live in interesting times".

For example. as far as I'm concerned, Windows 8 has broken "Play to", which was working perfectly well in Windows 7. Secondly, it's all very well them adding an orientation tag to video files, but it would be more useful if Microsoft's Video App would search on descriptive tags in file metadata in the first place.

I've got a little list of bugs, quirks and WTFs in Windows 8 that I've found. Doubtless there are more.

Yes, I read it, and like most of these novel-length posts, there's a few nuggets of interesting news. Unfortunately, very often, "interesting" takes on the overtones of the old Chinese curse: "may you live in interesting times".

For example. as far as I'm concerned, Windows 8 has broken "Play to",which was working perfectly well in Windows 7. Secondly, it's all very well them adding an orientation tag to video files, but it would be more useful if Microsoft's Video App would search on descriptive tags in file metadata in the first place.

I've got a little list of bugs, quirks and WTFs in Windows 8 that I've found. Doubtless there are more.

Like you I have read most of the Building windows 8 blog posts. Some of them more then once to understand what there saying. Microsoft seems to hide things in posts like these.

Above you talk about Microsoft breaking play to. I don't know if I can say they broke it because it was a planned change. I like how play to works in windows 8 in the demo video. There is one part I don't know if I like. Microsoft says that play to will work with certified windows 8 play to receivers that have all the modern media formats. This makes me feel like they should say play to receivers and not mention DLNA.

This is the only part of the post that mentions that play to receivers have to be certified.

"
Improved device experience:
Metro style apps work only with Windows certified Play To receivers. These devices are validated to support modern media formats, are DLNA standards-compliant, and have great performance (including the updated Xbox 360 available later this year). The desktop experience first introduced in Windows 7 has been added to the Explorer Ribbon and will continue to support all DLNA DMR devices.
" from Building windows 8 blog, Building a rich and extensible media platform post

Yes, it was a "planned change" and yes, Microsoft has broken my "Play to" experience. I have a Denon 3808 AVR, DLNA-certified, and bearing a Microsoft "PlaysforSure" sticker. Works perfectly well with Windows 7 "Play to". No longer works with Windows 8 "Play to", either in the Desktop Media Player, or in the Windows Explorer..

Microsoft's claim that "the desktop experience first introduced in Windows 7 has been added to the Explorer Ribbon and will continue to support all DLNA DMR devices" is being economical with the truth. It's disingenuous at best and a lie at worst.

Edited by gcoupe

Yes, it was a "planned change" and yes, Microsoft has broken my "Play to" experience. I have a Denon 3808 AVR, DLNA-certified, and bearing a Microsoft "PlaysforSure" sticker. Works perfectly well with Windows 7 "Play to". No longer works with Windows 8 "Play to", either in the Desktop Media Player, or in the Windows Explorer..

Microsoft's claim that "the desktop experience first introduced in Windows 7 has been added to the Explorer Ribbon and will continue to support all DLNA DMR devices" is being economical with the truth. It's disingenuous at best and a lie at worst.

I don't think DLNA support was part of the plays for sure program. Microsoft was trying to make a media platform that there partners could use to make MP3 players, and devices that would beat Apple's iPod. That sticker certifies that they receiver can play WMA files, including ones with DRM on them. There are Plays for Sure Video devices too they work with WMV files.

I don't think plays for sure exists anymore. Microsoft moved on to Zune and were too late to market to make any kind of dent. Most people were ready to move to a more all in one device like the iPhone or android phones. Looking back and know how things worked out Microsoft would have had a easier time if they had added Zune software to windows Mobile.

My thoughts on play to is that if Microsoft is going to list DLNA support. They should tell me what version of DLNA my device should support and not require there windows 8 compatibility program. If there going to limit it in this way it is no better then Apple's Air Play. I do disagree that design change that is working as it was intended would be considered broken. Broken to me would mean it is not working because of a bug. I would be willing to say there screwing it up.

I don't think DLNA support was part of the plays for sure program. Microsoft was trying to make a media platform that there partners could use to make MP3 players, and devices that would beat Apple's iPod. That sticker certifies that they receiver can play WMA files, including ones with DRM on them. There are Plays for Sure Video devices too they work with WMV files.

I don't think plays for sure exists anymore. Microsoft moved on to Zune and were too late to market to make any kind of dent. Most people were ready to move to a more all in one device like the iPhone or android phones. Looking back and know how things worked out Microsoft would have had a easier time if they had added Zune software to windows Mobile.

No, PlaysForSure does not exist any more. As I wrote here: "I would have thought that Microsoft would have learned from the failure of their “Plays for Sure” branding, but no, they’re at it again".