RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

I have HP WHS Raid5 & Need Help on Computer Raid 5 ?

Kyle

I have a HP Windows Home Server that has 7TB and it’s a Raid 5 Enclosure. This does storage and backups of our Video Editing Machine and other network resources.

My situation is that I now have 3 1TB Western Digital Blacks and 2 1TBWestern Digital Blues available for use.

I am building a new Computer for Video Editing.

Since I have a home server that has storage and backups of our files do I still need to do a Raid Technology on the new computer build/Video Machine? I want the fastest work space available? It needs some reliability or fault tolerance.

Please help me with some great ideas!

3 x 1TB WD Blacks (SATA)

2 x 1TB WD Blues (SATA)

Windows 7 Ultimate

Corsair Vengeance LP16GB DDR3 PC3 12800

Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5

ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ Mother Board

AMDFX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz

Edited by Kyle

RAID 5 is out of the question since all drives need to be the same size. You could possibly look at WHS v1 which will allow you to create a drive pool of mixed drive sizes, such as you have. Or, you could test "Storage Spaces" in either Windows 8 or Server 2012 which is the newest iteration of the old Drive Extender technology in WHS v1.

Lat option would be to look at a Drobo which will allow you to add mixed drives and is an external device.

You have backup. And you have 5) 1TB drives for a new build. RAID 0? You want the fastest? That's it. You know the risks but you said you have a server for backup. You could do a RAID 5 but the writes aren't all that great due to the parity writes. But that'd give you some data security and the reads would be fast.

With plenty of good backup you could get away with a RAID 0. That certainly would be the fastest, short of using all SSDs of course (but who can afford that for video editing files?)