RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

2720SGL RAID Issues

DEUSmachina

Hi,

I've recently purchased a 2720 RAID controller for my HP N40L.

I've installed VMware ESX5i on a flash drive connected to the internal USB port, and it's booting fine. I can connect to it successfully from vSphere installed on my management PC/iPad. I'm now attempting to create a RAID5 using 5x 2TB WD HHDs (WD20EARX). I have no other disks in the server other than these 5 disks.

If I CTRL-H into the RocketRAID BIOS I can see all 5 disks fine. I then create the RAID5, select all 5 disks, leaving other options as default, and choose 'Start Creation' at the bottom. I then choose 'Background initialization' and it presents a screen showing the Array Name, RAID level, Capacity, Status (uninitialized) and OCE/ORML.

It's at this point I'm completely confused. There's no status bar or indication of progress, and the HDD LED lights on the front of the case aren't going nuts as I'd expect.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pcdoc

• jmwills

• DEUSmachina

• a15457

Couple things you should know. I would not choose background as the process will take about 3 days to complete. An array has to be completed and initialized as a drive before you can access it. It sounds like you are not letting if finish the build process which for that size array would be about 6-7 hours in foreground and 2-3 days in the background. I would recreate it in foreground and let it complete for the day. Once you go back in there you should see it completed. You will still have to use an OS to format the drive but at least the raid will be complete.

Although done with the Web UI instead of the BIOS, the process is basically the same as the videos I did here without the pretty interface.

http://thedocsworld.net/building-your-raid-5-array/

Hi pcdoc,

Thanks for the reply. I was actually viewing your videos the other night.

I tried what you recommended but only have the options 'Background initialization' and 'No initialization'. I'm using v1.0 of the RocketRAID BIOS Setting Utility. I'll look into upgrading to v1.2 (current version) and report back.

I will be using VMware to create different data stores, so will I do the equivalent of what needs to be done in Windows (format, etc) from my ESX5i host instead?

Yes, (not to hijack this thread) but will you need to carve out the data stores you need from the one array you created.

OK, so I've updated my BIOS to version 1.2 (shows v1.2LS in RockRAID BIOS) by making a USB bootable DOS disk, but I still only get the options 'Background initialization' and 'No initialization'. I've just kicked off a background initialisation, so how will I know its completed? Will it just say Status = Initialized...? Kind of blows that there's no progress bar, etc.

Yes, (not to hijack this thread) but will you need to carve out the data stores you need from the one array you created.

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any information on how to do that in VMware? Is there a particular admin guide I can read?

OK, so it's been running constantly for 3 days now and it still says a status of Uninitialized. I still can't believe there's no progress bar.

So, I guess I just sit and hope it finishes soon...? :wacko:

Background. I was saying that I only get the options 'Background initialization' and 'No initialization', even after upgrading the BIOS.

I've just checked again and still says uninitialized from the RocketRAID BIOS. If I choose the Initialize menu option in the BIOS it says "!Error: No suitable disks. Press any key to continue." It's coming up to 4 days now...!?

Do I have to initialize from Windows instead of using the RocketRAID BIOS...?