RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

GA-Z77MX-D3H and RocketRAID 2320 problems

Hi guys,

Last month my file server's motherboard died and I replaced it with a Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H. I installed Win Server 2008 and everything worked. After drivers were installed, I pluged in my HighPoint RocketRAID 2320 RAID card and my fresh install of Win Server 2008 would not boot. If I went into the bios and in the Save & Exit section, selected boot override with my OS hard drive, Windows Server 2008 would finally boot and I would have full access to my RAID.

Even though in the BIOS, in the BIOS Features section, my boot option #1 was my OS hard drive, and boot option #2 was disabled, every time I rebooted my machine, it wouldn't boot into Windows unless I used the boot override trick.

After getting sick of trying to get to the BIOS screen every time I booted, pressing del key would not always work, as it may have been to fast, I decided to reformat my os drive, and reinstall windows server 2008.

I have Windows Server 2008 in a usb drive, the usb drive is selected as the only boot priority in BIOS. It boots from the usb, I get the Windows is loading files... screen and after the bar reaches the end the system resets itself. I have tried using the same usb with my RAID card disconnected, and it goes past the loading screen to the install screens. I have tried the RAID card on all PCI slots on the motherboard (PCIEX16, PCIEX8 & PCIEX4), and in each position the windows is load files bar reaches the end and the pc resets itself. In all three PCI slots, I know the RAID card is being read my the motherboard, because I see the RAID card bios screen before the windows is loading files screen starts. The RAID Card is HighPoint RocketRAID 2320 8-Channel PCI-Express x4 SATA 3Gb/s.

Any ideas on how to get the motherboard and raid card to play nice?

Hi guys,

Last month my file server's motherboard died and I replaced it with a Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H. I installed Win Server 2008 and everything worked. After drivers were installed, I pluged in my HighPoint RocketRAID 2320 RAID card and my fresh install of Win Server 2008 would not boot. If I went into the bios and in the Save & Exit section, selected boot override with my OS hard drive, Windows Server 2008 would finally boot and I would have full access to my RAID.

Even though in the BIOS, in the BIOS Features section, my boot option #1 was my OS hard drive, and boot option #2 was disabled, every time I rebooted my machine, it wouldn't boot into Windows unless I used the boot override trick.

After getting sick of trying to get to the BIOS screen every time I booted, pressing del key would not always work, as it may have been to fast, I decided to reformat my os drive, and reinstall windows server 2008.

I have Windows Server 2008 in a usb drive, the usb drive is selected as the only boot priority in BIOS. It boots from the usb, I get the Windows is loading files... screen and after the bar reaches the end the system resets itself. I have tried using the same usb with my RAID card disconnected, and it goes past the loading screen to the install screens. I have tried the RAID card on all PCI slots on the motherboard (PCIEX16, PCIEX8 & PCIEX4), and in each position the windows is load files bar reaches the end and the pc resets itself. In all three PCI slots, I know the RAID card is being read my the motherboard, because I see the RAID card bios screen before the windows is loading files screen starts. The RAID Card is HighPoint RocketRAID 2320 8-Channel PCI-Express x4 SATA 3Gb/s.

Any ideas on how to get the motherboard and raid card to play nice?

Sure. I have almost the exact setup except I am using a 2680 card but I ran into the same issue. Update to the latest BIOS (mine came with F5 and the latest is F12). Then go into the BIOS set the drive you want to boot from and kill the others in all boot options. Put the card in the first slot and you should be good to go.

Thanks for the quick reply pcdoc. The raid card is in the top slot (PCIEX16). I updated the BIOS to F12, and disabled all boot devices except the usb drive. I get to the screen where "Windows is loading files.." comes up. The loading bar goes to the end, and it just stays on that screen. At least this is one step better than before where it reset itself at this point.

Thanks for the quick reply pcdoc. The raid card is in the top slot (PCIEX16). I updated the BIOS to F12, and disabled all boot devices except the usb drive. I get to the screen where "Windows is loading files.." comes up. The loading bar goes to the end, and it just stays on that screen. At least this is one step better than before where it reset itself at this point.

I would also remake your USB drive or try a DVD. I have had more failure with USB boot than I can count. I do not use that method unless I have to.

I've seen something similar. You might need to make a registry change before connecting the card.

Follow the instructions in this KB article to make sure your registry settings are correct for RAID.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

• Exit all Windows-based programs.
  • Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
  • If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
  • Locate and then click one of the following registry subkeys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV
  • In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
  • In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
  • On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

Edited by Mr_Smartepants
  • Like 1

I've seen something similar. You might need to make a registry change before connecting the card.

Follow the instructions in this KB article to make sure your registry settings are correct for RAID.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

MR_Smartepants.. I think you did it for me mate!!

I remade the OS usb, as pcdoc suggested, and tried installing the os using that. Unfortunatlly I had the same problem, where it does not go past the windows is loading files screen. So I decided to install the OS with the RAID card not plugged in. Once OS was installed, I change the registry settings as Mr_Smartepants suggested. Plugged in the Raid card.. and boom, no problems since (knock on wood).

Thanks heaps both of you, pcdoc and Mr_Smartepants! :)

Glad to help. :)

Now if you wanted to install the OS onto the RAID itself you would need to load the RAID card drivers into your OS .iso through DISM injection or by creating a folder at the root of the .iso with the name $WinPEDriver$ and putting the drivers in there. Otherwise the Windows installer won't "see" the array.

The problem is back again. I don't think the changes in the register was the fix. I must have been lucky, and got a 2-3 boots that worked.

This afternoon I had to reset the server after installing some software. After seeing all the POST screens (I think that is what they are called), the screen goes black, and stays there. I would guess its one screen from the windows loading progress bar screen. It stays on this black screen and does nothing. If I unplug the RAID card, it boot up windows with no problems. No matter what I try now, I cannot get the windows to boot up with the RAID card attached. I have tried resetting the bios to default, trying to use the priority boot setting, and nothing seems to work.

Did you install the full set of Intel drivers after changing the registry?

Since you have a separate RAID card, did you disable the onboard RAID in the motherboard BIOS? (AHCI)

Can you boot from a liveCD (Ubuntu, Fedora, or WinPE) and see the RAID? If you go into the RAID card BIOS does it report the drives are "healthy"?

Even though you have a "black screen", does the system show any other signs of activity? (HDD light flickering? HDD seek noise?)

There's a lot of info you need to provide other than "It's broken".