RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS is getting me down

tbowland

Dave I'm considering going to the dark side.....Synology.

Should I reinstall

- OK one more chance WHS 2011 but a Synology DS 212j is looking mighty attractive right now!

Since upgrading to 2011 about 5 months ago I installed MyMovies and then everything went down hill. or maybe it was AWIECO I don't know but my WHS box runs at 100% CPU usage 100% of the time. Note to mention the slowness, the fan noise will drive you crazy. It seems to be the Alert Viewer service so I have to go in every time the box reboots to turn that service off.

OK 2 months later ...... thats enough.

Should I reinstall WHS 2011 or try and fix the problem?

Whats involved in reinstalling?

How safe is my data on the HDD if I reinstall?

HELP!

Thanks in advance.

First off, if your data is on a separate drive from the OS, I think it should be safe. However, I would never reinstall an OS without a backup of all my data.

That said, I would reinstall WHS2011 and NOT install any add-ins whatsoever. Try that for a month and see how it goes.

If everything is going well after a month, try installing just one add-in and monitor the server for at least a week. If the server is still OK then try another add-in. If you install an add-in and the server goes screwy remember, it's the add-in's fault, not WHS.

Reinstalling is pretty simple. Just boot up from the DVD or USB stick and do an install. When you get to the part where it asks what drive to install on, use the Advanced Options to delete all the partitions, to ensure there is no leftover software from the previous install.

WHS 2011, in spite of detractors, is solid. I mean I have it on a MSS EX495 box with only 2GB RAM, and the performance - streaming vids, file transfers to and from, nightly backups - is just fine.

Add-ins? I have none, though I need to think about Lights Out.

I guess I'm just saying that if your system is pegged, I'd put it down to something other than the OS. So to echo ikon, I'd say 'redo'.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

I think all my data is on three drives and that Disk 0 contains only the OS so I should be good to go ahead and re-install the WHS 2011 OS.

Assuming this pic has enough info. can I get some opinions.

Should I unplug the drives - disk 1, disk 2 and disk 3 when I do the reinstall or should they be connected?

Ted

structure.jpg

If the box runs at 100% CPU then I'd check the task manager to see which task is taking all that CPU power...

He mentioned Alert Viewer as being the culprit. Hm...so why is that? That's OS.

Interesting. Could this be the one time in history where 'sfc /scannow' actually fixes something? :)

Should you disconnect or leave the drives? It's my understanding that 2011 doesn't do anything with connected drives during installation.

I've done what you're about to do. I disonnected the drives only because I just don't trust the process. In my case, I wanted to use the same share names as I had been using. But I couldn't just take the 'Videos' share, for example, and relocate it to a drive where there was an existing share named 'Videos'. WHS doesn't allow that. So I renamed the existing folders, then relocated/migrated the new folder shares from the D:drive where I wanted them. I then cut and pasted the files from the existing folders to the newly relocated/migrated shares. It worked like this: 'Videos-old' -> 'Videos'. Then I manually deleted the empty 'Videos-old' folder. No problem with that as it wasn't tied into WHS, right?. It worked out well. I was able to put everything back where I wanted it.

Task Manager and Event Viewer are the places to start. What's the old saying, "don't shoot the messenger" as in this case Task manager.

Ha! I had a reg hack to disable 'Messenger' back in the olde days of XP. Man, I hated that thing always popping up in the tray when I started Outlook Express. Oh, not what you're talking about? :D

Yes, well he could spend time troubleshooting, or he could reinstall and reset his shares. Sometimes it comes down to how much time you want to put into a thing. If it's reinstall WHS or buy a Synology, I'd encourage reinstall first. My 2 cents...

The only addin I use is MYMOVIES and all works well,

If you do re-install, get a backup of the MYMOVIES database.