RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jeffla

Restore can't find server

dvn

Yea.....and the point is? Each one has wired connection and maybe one is not recognized by the server because of lack of driver support....just sayin'

Exactly! You hit it on the head. Driver support. It's a hassle compared to Acronis. Hm...maybe MS should acquire Acronis. :D

Anyway, my contention is that the restore process is a bit flaky. It needs to be more Acronis-like, Apple-like. hahaha *ducks flying tomatoes

jmwills

Exactly! You hit it on the head. Driver support. It's a hassle compared to Acronis. Hm...maybe MS should acquire Acronis. :D

Anyway, my contention is that the restore process is a bit flaky. It needs to be more Acronis-like, Apple-like. hahaha *ducks flying tomatoes

Agreed!

fredp1

Is that router only capable of leasing 20 DHCP IPs? Can't you set the DHCP address range in the router?

Out of the box 20 ip's was the default range... it just took me a little time to find the right setting to expand the dhcp range.

jmwills

I don't think I've ever seen a home router not set to the default of a 32 bit subnet (255.255.255.0) which would allow 254 usable addresses. Strange. Even Tomato does that be default,

ikon

20 IPs is pretty unusual, agreed. I was just concerned that it might be a router that couldn't be adjusted to issue more; that would suck big time.

jmwills

Agreed, unless it was some ISP supplied router which is usually junk anyway. Succeeded in getting a second wireless router (non DHCP) working in the house this weekend. Nice to be able to flow between the two like it was one continuous signal.

ikon

Succeeded in getting a second wireless router (non DHCP) working in the house this weekend. Nice to be able to flow between the two like it was one continuous signal.

I'm glad you mentioned about the 2nd router not having DHCP. It's amazing how many people think DHCP is somehow tied to the router it sits on, and has to be enabled on that router for client computers to get an IP. If these forums can educate people on this one thing, I think it's a good service to the community.

jmwills

One is the Linksys WRT54G and the other is a D-Link DIR-655. The wife gets home from overseas this weekend and I know the last thing she wants to see in her kitchen is a wireless router! Great signal from this router even though I put it upstairs, The interface is a little busy,,,but we worked through it.

ikon

I only have 1 wireless router, which is only being used as a Wireless Access Point. It's a D-Link DIR-628. I agree about the D-Link interface - it's always been busy - Tomato is soo much nicer.