RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jeffla

Restore can't find server

jmwills

This could be nothing more than the network card difference between the two machines.

dvn

He was working with a laptop. :)

I think the point is having to troubleshoot, come up with a work around, invoke an MVP...lol. Which I have done on numerous occasions.

fredp1

AFAIK, restore will not work from wireless. It must be a wired connection.

When the Thinkpad is connected to the network it should get a IP address. After that it should work.

Recently I have seen probelms at home with a new router that some devices dropped off the network or could not connect. In my case the problem appeared that DHCP setting only gives out 20 addresses and I have about 22 devices. Setting some devices to a fixed IP address and increasing the DHCP range fixed my issue. Hope this helps.

jmwills

He was working with a laptop. :)

I think the point is having to troubleshoot, come up with a work around, invoke an MVP...lol. Which I have done on numerous occasions.

Yea.....and the point is? Each one has wired connection and maybe one is not recognized by the server because of lack of driver support....just sayin'

jeffla

On the Toshiba or my old Compaq laptop and our Desktop they all just work, no questions from WHS during a restore. The Thinkpad required drivers to find the network card. I was able to make a usb disk with the drivers stored on the WHS and once given to the WHS restore it was able to find my network card. I think it was an Intel Gigibit (then a bunch of numbers). I could connect the ethernet cable to my router and see it being assigned an IP address, then unplug it and see the address being released. So I feel comfortable saying the Thinkpad was being assigned an IP address over the wired ethernet connection.

Our router (wrt54gl Tomato) uses static DHCP so all our devices get assigned as static address. Sadly, I remember each devices address. Now that we have two routers, the wrt54gl (tomato) and the new Belkin ??? N (Tomato) router connected I was concerend that might be causing an issue. Both the WHS and the Thinkpad were connected to the Belkin router. The wrt54gl router is the DHCP static server. But since the Toshiba laptop had no issue doing the restore just connected to the Belkin, I'm not sure why the Thhinkpad would.

As a last resort I even connected the thinkpad directly to WHS but it failed to find the server as well. Oh well.

ikon

You don't have DHCP enabled on both routers, do you? If you do, I would disable it on one of them. It doesn't really matter which one, but it's not a good idea to have 2 DHCP servers on a LAN.

ikon

Recently I have seen probelms at home with a new router that some devices dropped off the network or could not connect. In my case the problem appeared that DHCP setting only gives out 20 addresses and I have about 22 devices. Setting some devices to a fixed IP address and increasing the DHCP range fixed my issue. Hope this helps.

Is that router only capable of leasing 20 DHCP IPs? Can't you set the DHCP address range in the router?

jeffla

Is that router only capable of leasing 20 DHCP IPs? Can't you set the DHCP address range in the router?

Yah, it's set to hand out DHCP address between 192.168.20.200 - 250 and all our devices are in the 192.168.20.100 static DHCP range. We have 4 computers: WHS (...108), Thinkpad (...111), Toshiba (...102), Desktop (...104). Things like our iphones, kindles, tivo, onkyo receiver all get a 200 dynamic DHCP address on request.