RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jeffla

Restore can't find server

jeffla

I want to restore my Thinkpad t420s but when I run the restore CD it is unable to find the server. The network drivers appear to have loaded correctly. I made a usb driver ?disk? from the Thinpad and it identifies both my wireless and wired nics. The problem is it just can't find the server. I have tried connecting the server directly to the laptop, connecting the server and the thinkpad to my G router, then the N router, 1 to the G one to the N. I give up. I have manually typed in the name of the server //hpserver and also tried \\hpserver.

Any suggestions?

pcdoc

Are both your server and thinkpad hardwired? If so, if you have a switch or hot key, turn off the wireless and try it again.

ikon

Try the server's IP address. When the auto-search times out, select Find Server Manually and type the IP in. I had to do it earlier today.

jeffla

Thank you both. I have tried both you suggestions with no change. It has to be something with the Thinkpad because I can start the restore no problems on our other laptop.

Both the server and thinkpad are hard wired. Wireless switch turned off.

jeffla

Gave up trying to get the Thinkpad to work. Just restored it through the other laptop.

pcdoc

Great work around.

ikon

I had to do that yesterday with my wife's new SSD drive. The WHS Restore Wizard DVD just doesn't work on her computer. Used mine instead.

dvn

And that's why I have Acronis handling the daily backups. I can't be bothered with the hassle of finding the server. Ya, I said it. The allure of single instance just isn't enough anymore. In full disclosure, WHS still performs daily backups, but Acronis is now my go-to backup solution.

My advice? Pick up Acronis TI Home when it's on sale. You will love it. Besides its restore function, the recovery media is great for backing up computers that come in for repair.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

jeffla

I own Acronis and love it. Just haven't used it since getting WHS. That might change, not sure. It was very disappointing having to take the SSD out of the thinkpad and try and get it to stay in the Toshiba laptop just to do the restore. I still like WHS 2011, but find that when I think back to the connector install issues I went through, the server backup's that never would restore properly and now the client restore issues, my belief in WHS is waivering a little. Oh well, I'm sure by next week I'll forget all about it.

dvn

I own Acronis and love it. Just haven't used it since getting WHS. That might change, not sure. It was very disappointing having to take the SSD out of the thinkpad and try and get it to stay in the Toshiba laptop just to do the restore. I still like WHS 2011, but find that when I think back to the connector install issues I went through, the server backup's that never would restore properly and now the client restore issues, my belief in WHS is waivering a little. Oh well, I'm sure by next week I'll forget all about it.

I still like WHS, too. It's my home server of choice. But if nothing else, have Acronis backing up alongside WHS. It's more consistent overall with the network, and it's more flexible in that it's able to restore larger partitions to smaller.