RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Need motherboard advice...

Boznicky

Howdy all...

Been lurking for a long time on this board, but I never had any advice to give or really had any questions.

I have been using Windows Server (v1) for quite a while and, because of a failure of my HP EX485, I decided to build a WHS 2011 box (I am currently without a server and it is a very big inconvenience to the family)

Now, I have a lot of experience building gaming rigs, but not servers.

I purchased a motherboard (a GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3) based on the number of successful builds posted in this forum using the Gigabyte board.

Well, I put the box together tonight and I ran into the "endless boot loop" issue that has been discussed all over the internet. After checking that it was not a short or a RAM issue, I immediately processed a return to Amazon and will be shipping it out tomorrow.

So, I need a motherboard...

I would like the board to have the following features:

Support for the i5 (Ivy Bridge)

• 4 SATA 6.0 Gb/s connectors
  • 2 (or more) SATA 3.0 Gb/s connectors
  • USB 3.0
  • Raid 1 support
  • And all of the other normal stuff like onboard video, sound, etc.

I am not married to the Z68 chipset, so if you want to recommend a Z77, I am cool with that.

Also, I have a MicroCenter in town, so if you want to recommend an ASUS, ASRock, Intel, BioStar or another Gigabyte, I may be able to pick it up tomorrow.

Your input is appreciated...

Regards,

The Boz

Guest no-control

I would recommend a z77 board at this point. Unless cost is a major issue. I like both Asus and Gigabyte. Which one really depends on size and features you want.

You didn't mention board size (ATX, mATX, etc.)

Here's a list of boards at Microcenter that meet your criteria.

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?sortby=pricelow&N=4294966996%2B4294939941%2B4294936811%2B4294945053

I agree with no-control, I would stick with Asus ,Gigabyte or Intel.

Of the above options, only 2 have RAID (unless you go cheap with Asrock).

Asus Maximus V Gene or Intel DZ77BH-55K

http://www.microcenter.com/search/compare_products.phtml?search_id=825c77736540098d68a158deecab7420

Although for a desktop I agree, the Z77 have been a bit temperamental with driver on Server 2008. I just installed one over this weekend and like others in this forum, I had to manually load each driver. Works well but a bit painful.

Although for a desktop I agree, the Z77 have been a bit temperamental with driver on Server 2008. I just installed one over this weekend and like others in this forum, I had to manually load each driver. Works well but a bit painful.

Really? I know The NT6 OS group (Vista/Win7 and notably Server 2008r2) usually have issues with unsigned drivers but I haven't seen problems with signed drivers.

Have you tried my SAD2 (Stand Alone Driver Disc) utility I host over at DriverPacks.net?

http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=5336

I'd be very interested to know if you still have those problems with my utility.

Guest no-control

I had to manually load each driver. Works well but a bit painful.

This is SOP for server setup. (actually any setup I do) I recommend never using the driver disk setup. I always manually install drivers.

Edited by no-control

Really? I know The NT6 OS group (Vista/Win7 and notably Server 2008r2) usually have issues with unsigned drivers but I haven't seen problems with signed drivers.

Have you tried my SAD2 (Stand Alone Driver Disc) utility I host over at DriverPacks.net?

http://forum.driverp...pic.php?id=5336

I'd be very interested to know if you still have those problems with my utility.

It is definitively the driver disk, however many people will not want to go through that for WHS to run correctly. You should be able to install the disk and load what you need. I was able to extract all the drivers from the disk I needed and get it to work except the intel USB 3 drivers, the install would not work. I was not able to load the setup program and had to load the drivers via the control panel. Thanks for the link to your utility but I have not tried it. Will give it a shot next time.

You can use the install disk to extract the drivers or have Device Manager search for them. It's nothing but overhead you do not need to install all the crapware that comes in those install disks.

All,

Thanks for the input...

I have picked-up the Intel DZ77BH-55K.

I am a bit confused... Will Windows Server 2011 not load drivers like Windows 7? Meaning, is it a more involved process?

When reading through past posts, I had always had a question about the driver issue. I assumed (stupid me) that it was either a unique piece of hardware that was having issues (some exotic raid card or multi proocessor server board) that was causing the driver concerns.

I have no problem loading individual drivers for the motherboard / chipset, but would it be wrong for me just to grab the latest driver from the motherboard manufacturer's site and use their installers?

Also, will WHS 2011, through the Windows Update page, find and install certified drivers for the hardware in the system?

My system is pretty bare bones... Motherboard with onboard graphics and sound, Intel processor, RAM, hard drives and the normal interface features (USB 2.0 & 3.0, 1394, SATA, etc.).

Thanks again,

The Boz...

Look at the drivers on the CD and examine what is current on Intel's site. Note any differences and see why they upgraded any driver. Usually on an Intel board you should get just about everything, however WHS 2011 is now approaching 3 years old so unless you slipstreamed the service packs, the newer drivers will not be in there.

As long as you can get the Network drivers installed, you can do everything from the server.