RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New to servers, Help appreciated w/ my build

wSinclairw

Hello and thank you for any advice.

I’ve been lurking in various forums and reading what articles I can find, but I’m still confused and I’m starting to get information overload, because the more I read the more confused I’m feeling. So I thought I would tell you what I want to do and what I (roughly) want to do it with and you might be able to provide some feedback.

I want this server to stream my movies (DVD and Blu-Ray), stream my music, and backup my home/gaming pc, my laptop, and my tablet (is this even possible yet?). It will eventually be streaming to my HTPC(s?) (to be built), my home/gaming pc, my laptop, audio system, PS3, and my tablet (android). At the moment I don’t plan for the system to have to stream to more than one/two device(s) at a time, but this could change and I would like the option to be open. I would like to be able to stream while on vacation, have family/friends access my home videos and vacation photos, and backup my laptop while on vacation since I will put my pictures on it every night.

Some details:

• I would REALLY like to keep the budget under $2000 if possible (including storage costs).
  • I have, currently, roughly 600 DVDs and 20 blu-rays (including 3D)
  • I would like to be able to add additional storage
  • I want redundancy! I really really REALLY don’t want to load all my discs more than once. Carbonite?

My current (always up for change plans):

Priced as of 6/1/12 from newegg.com it would work out to $1,892.85. All items are in a public wish list titled “My Home Server 6-1-12”. Would this setup work for what I want? Is the SSD for the OS overkill and not necessary? Other than shopping around is there something else unnecessary? Did I miss something?

Configuration is something that I’m sure I’m going to have many questions on, but later, after I purchase my Baby. I do have one important question and that is raid. As I understand it Raids 5, 6, and 10 are the better ones as far as redundancy goes. In December of 2011 maximumpc.com wrote an article about building a home server and they recommended Raid 6. Is Raid 6 something I should do? If a drive fails in the above raids, can I just plug a new one in? Can I start with just 4 drives and add to the Raid? And what about UnRAID by Lime Technologies? Can I put Carbonite (http://www.carbonite.com) or another backup service on my server?

You can see that I start seeing options everywhere and end up with my eyes crossed and my fingers tied in knots. :blink:

Thank you again for any help you can provide.

-Billy

Guest no-control

I don't really see any problem with your setup. But 2 things stand out to me. You want to rip +/-600 dvds and 20 BD but into what format? straight rips will require the most space figure on avg 4.8 TB for the DVDs and 800GB for the BD given the numbers listed above. for this and to allow room for groth I would want to have at least 8TB usable. Which brings me to my next question. RAID 5&6 are pretty good for availability (uptime) but for redundancy RAID 1 or better yet RAID 10 provides better protection. For what you listed for storage you're looking at 6x 3TB drives just for your video stores.

We haven't addressed if you have any other data, or clients you want to back up to this server. At a minimum, adding another pair of drives for the o/s, backups and data in a RAID 1. What size will really depend on how much "other data" you have floating around out there. The SSD is a luxury for something you may or may not interact with very often. I say skip it.

Carbonite and most online storage backups are very expensive and incredibly slow to upload that much data with.

Welcome to the forums.

I would raid my O/S, mirror is fine.

A few forum member like the Highpoint raid card. If you plan to add more drives later on, you will need to add a second raid card.

For reduntancy, I would recommend battery backup module on a raid card, or a UPS.

I'm like MYMOVIES as it can convert movies for my Ipad.

Hello and thank you for any advice.

I’ve been lurking in various forums and reading what articles I can find, but I’m still confused and I’m starting to get information overload, because the more I read the more confused I’m feeling. So I thought I would tell you what I want to do and what I (roughly) want to do it with and you might be able to provide some feedback.

I want this server to stream my movies (DVD and Blu-Ray), stream my music, and backup my home/gaming pc, my laptop, and my tablet (is this even possible yet?). It will eventually be streaming to my HTPC(s?) (to be built), my home/gaming pc, my laptop, audio system, PS3, and my tablet (android). At the moment I don’t plan for the system to have to stream to more than one/two device(s) at a time, but this could change and I would like the option to be open. I would like to be able to stream while on vacation, have family/friends access my home videos and vacation photos, and backup my laptop while on vacation since I will put my pictures on it every night.

Some details:

• I would REALLY like to keep the budget under $2000 if possible (including storage costs).
  • I have, currently, roughly 600 DVDs and 20 blu-rays (including 3D)
  • I would like to be able to add additional storage
  • I want redundancy! I really really REALLY don’t want to load all my discs more than once. Carbonite?

My current (always up for change plans):

Priced as of 6/1/12 from newegg.com it would work out to $1,892.85. All items are in a public wish list titled “My Home Server 6-1-12”. Would this setup work for what I want? Is the SSD for the OS overkill and not necessary? Other than shopping around is there something else unnecessary? Did I miss something?

Configuration is something that I’m sure I’m going to have many questions on, but later, after I purchase my Baby. I do have one important question and that is raid. As I understand it Raids 5, 6, and 10 are the better ones as far as redundancy goes. In December of 2011 maximumpc.com wrote an article about building a home server and they recommended Raid 6. Is Raid 6 something I should do? If a drive fails in the above raids, can I just plug a new one in? Can I start with just 4 drives and add to the Raid? And what about UnRAID by Lime Technologies? Can I put Carbonite (http://www.carbonite.com) or another backup service on my server?

You can see that I start seeing options everywhere and end up with my eyes crossed and my fingers tied in knots. :blink:

Thank you again for any help you can provide.

-Billy

Here is my two cents. First I would suggest the Fractal case as it holds more drives. As for RAID 5 or 6, the difference is a second parity which can add a layer of protection if you are not able to get a spare in time. If your budget can handle it, go for it. As for expanding or migrating from a raid 5 to a raid 6, the answer is yes. I did a short video on expanding/migrating that show the steps which by the way is the same process for replacing a drive that goes bad.

http://thedocsworld.net/raid-5-expansion/