RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Network Problem

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I am terminating with the male ends. Obviously it would be much easier if I was doing it with the female ends.

Another question, does it matter the order of the wires if I do them exactly the same on each end?

How in the world do you get the wires straight/flat?

What type of terminations are you using? And yes, it does absolutely matter. Make sure to follow the pinouts. I used T568A when I did my wiring.

I didn't use either. I used (o/w is orange/white)...
o/w-o, b/w-b, g/w-g, b/w-b

T568B, which is closest to what I did, is...
o/w-o, g/w-b, b/w-g, b/w-b

If I do exactly the same on both ends then I don't see why it would matter.

Well it certainly is going to cause problems with your tester. To be completely honest, I would re-do both ends so that down the road you will know what the pinout is. Are you just running the cables out the wall, or using a cover plate with female connectors?

As for why it's not working, I'm not exactly sure.

I am running the cables out the wall and not using a cover plate. However I think I may change to a cover plate because terminating the plugs (male ends) are much more difficult than the female connectors.

BTW, I have already started to do what you suggest to see if there is a difference. Worst case, I have the pinout right.

I started over with T568B and I now have gigabit. Cable length now shows to be between 0 and 30 m. I guess it can't be exact for short runs or it doesn't matter enough to mention exact length.

I wish I knew why it mattered. I don't think it is chance either because I cut and restarted three times with the previous arrangement. First time I did T568B, it worked.

Thanks again for all that helped.

Glad it worked out. I'm not exactly sure why it didn't work either. Maybe the guys who came up with such things know more than we do. ;-)

You need to stick to the standards for wiring your cables to reduce the chance of cross-talk. When you wired like this:

I used (o/w is orange/white)...
o/w-o, b/w-b, g/w-g, b/w-b

You no longer had the advantage of the twisted pair for you blue/w-b and green/w-g wires. This was likely creating cross talk at the higher frequencies so the system automatically adjusts.

One other thing that occurred to me. If you ever ended up hooking up something that need PoE (power over ethernet), you don't want to take a chance forgetting your wiring isn't to spec and end up frying something valuable.