RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Network Problem

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I recently purchased a Netgear 16 port gigabit router and installed some new cat 6 cabling. Unfortunately I have ran into some problems. On one of the machines, it has a Realteck gigabit NIC, it will only connect at 100Mb. I ran the cable diagnostics and for some reason it thinks the cable is over 200 meters long. Apparently, you can't run gigabit on long cables? The cable I made is only about 25' long. Anyone have any idea's on possible remedies?

Have you tried a different cable and port? Did it work at 1Gig before the new switch? Also notice you said you made the cables. Might worth just trying an off the shelf patch cord for testing.

I didn't try a different cable because it was through a wall and I don't want to do that again. I had to move a lot of heavy furniture. The old switch was only 10/100.

I tried forcing to 1 Gb and it didn't work. Is it possible my terminations could be the problem? I wouldn't think so because I get a connection, but I am not an expert on networking.

Can you move the computer to test the NIC?

I have used the network cable testing tool on Newegg with good luck.

addlogix CTK-MNCT-RJT Enhanced Multi-Network Cable Tester with Tone Generator - Retail

Hi,

My company installs Cat5, 5e & 6 cabling. 9 times out of 10 it is the termination especially with Cat 6. The length limit of any Cat 5 / Cat 6 cable is 90 metres nominal spec. As your cable is only @ 25' ft long then if both ends are plugs, cut them off and redo, making sure you only untwist the absolute minimum to remake them. (this helps avoid to much NEXT "near end cross talk") If either of the ends are into receptacles (Sockets / patch panel etc) then make sure, especially on Cat 6 that the ends are fully punched down. (The tool for this is completely different on Cat 6 VS Cat 5). The other thing to check is for any tight bends in the cable. Cat 6 often causes failures if a cable is severely "kinked". This causes RL (Return Loss) errors which could well be contributory to the length error.

Of course it may be none of these things and a hardware problem, hope this may be of some help.

Stan

Stan, thanks for all the suggestions. Is it possible to have a connection at all if any of the problems you mention existed? That is what I can't figure out. I will just have to try another cable, one that is working at gigabit speeds.

Hi ITTOG, in theory it is possible as 10/100 only uses 2 of 4 pairs in your cat6 cable, where 1000 uses all 4 pairs. Perhaps if you didn't punch down or crimp one of the pairs correctly it could lead to that...just a thought.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. The problem was with my cable. I apparently had a connection problem with the 3rd or 4th pair. I installed a new cable and gigabit was acheived. Yay!