RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

CrashPlan Synchronization

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Does anyone use CrashPlan to back up from one computer to another computer that is on your network. I just started this about two weeks ago and it is taking forever. I have 6 TB's of data and in two weeks it has only backed up 273 GB. It tells me it has 7.5 months to complete. I want to back the data up but I am afraid running the drives like that for 7.5 months will cause the drives to die.

There's something wrong somewhere. 273GB should copy from one computer to another in a few hours, not weeks. Let's assume a good gigabit network and good drives. You should get around 100 MB/sec. That's a GB every 10 sec., which is 6 GB/min. 6 GB/min x 60 min = 360 GB/hr, which is more than you've already copied in 2 weeks :o . Let's say you don't quite get 100 MB/sec; it might take 2 or 3 hours.

I know I don't really have to ask you, but just to be sure, have you done any benchmarking of your LAN transfer speed?

Check the Task Manager to see how much CPU/RAM it is using. If very little, I'd say the program is stalled.

CPU on both servers was averaging less than 2% and I told CrashPlan to use up to 90%. Memory was below 10% as well. I don't know how I missed it, but there was a setting to limit the throughput to 2 Mbps. Arghh! Where is the PO'ed emoticon? I changed the throughput to unlimited and it is now transferring at 70 Mbps. Not great but obviously much improved. It now says it will take 7.5 days. Much better.

While you guys didn't have the answer, your comments made me dig deeper so thanks.

Glad you figured it out. And that 7.5 days is probably based on how long it's taken so far. Crashplan may adjust that to a shorter time much quicker than real time.

I think a lot of these timer jobs base the outcome on the set of files they are currently working on and can adjust on the fly. I know that SpinRite will adjust the finish time of a scan based on the difficulty it see with the current files being scanned.