RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Adding accounts to the Windows 8 Metro Mail App.

cclayton

cclayton

After listening to the BYOB Podcast episode 87 I realized there is some confusion on adding accounts to metro apps. The Windows 8 Mail, People, and Calendar apps support user accounts that are Hotmail, Exchange Active Sync, and Google. You can add additional accounts from the mail and people apps. I am not sure why but there doesn't seem to be a way to do this in the calendar app.

Steps to adding Mail account.

1) Open the Windows 8 Metro Mail app.

2) bring up the charm bar. (finger swipe from the left side of the screen, Or move the mouse to the upper right corner and then move the mouse down)

3) Click on the Settings Charm. (brings up settings for the current app)

4) Click on Accounts. This will display all accounts used by the mail app.

5) Click on the "Add an Account" link.

6) select Hotmail, Exchange or Google

I think every one can finish this from here.

The people app has the same account screen and you find it the same way. In this app you will also see accounts that were added from windows live that you can't do anything with from this screen.

---

Christian

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Thanks for clearing it up. Nothing worse than the wrong news getting out. Maybe the guys can correct it on the next show if this truly clears the issue up for them.

Thanks for clearing it up. Nothing worse than the wrong news getting out. Maybe the guys can correct it on the next show if this truly clears the issue up for them.

I found a post during the Consumer preview that said what the account types where but no information as how to set them up. I wanted to add my Gmail account, I was looking for it. This stuff is all new and Microsoft hasn't said much about how it all works. I have been learning things from the posts here too.

Right now I am getting ready to test the upgrade feature from windows 7 to windows 8. Paul Thurrott has said it worked on a windows weekly episode and I decided to try it.

Edited by cclayton

re: upgrade from Win7 to Win8CP: I actually had to do this in order to get Win8CP to install onto my very old Gateway laptop. It has a 32 bit Celeron M CPU :) Win8CP would not install on it. I tried several times. Finally, with ideas from Joe_Miner, I decided to install Win7 first, then did an upgrade from within Win7. Bingo! BTW, Win8RP did install on its own just fine, so it's one difference between RP an CP.

re: upgrade from Win7 to Win8CP: I actually had to do this in order to get Win8CP to install onto my very old Gateway laptop. It has a 32 bit Celeron M CPU :) Win8CP would not install on it. I tried several times. Finally, with ideas from Joe_Miner, I decided to install Win7 first, then did an upgrade from within Win7. Bingo! BTW, Win8RP did install on its own just fine, so it's one difference between RP an CP.

My laptop has a software button that turns the wireless and Bluetooth on and off. When you install an OS the Bluetooth is set to off and Lenovo doesn't have the Windows 8 button driver yet. I am hopping everything will work after the upgrade. I have not had good luck in the past with upgrading windows versions.

Mainly an upgrade in the Apps.

I think the OS was mostly finished at the CP version. I think there working on some of the new more complex features and all the metro apps. I wouldn't be surprised if the apps get updated after launch to make them feature complete. Most of the metro apps are being upgraded threw the windows store and Microsoft has said they should update more often.

My laptop has a software button that turns the wireless and Bluetooth on and off. When you install an OS the Bluetooth is set to off and Lenovo doesn't have the Windows 8 button driver yet. I am hopping everything will work after the upgrade. I have not had good luck in the past with upgrading windows versions.

So upgrading from Win7 doesn't allow the wireless button to work with Win8, or have you tried that yet?

So upgrading from Win7 doesn't allow the wireless button to work with Win8, or have you tried that yet?

All of the drivers and software that I had in the windows 7 install are working including the buttons and Bluetooth adapter.