RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Recommendations for New Build

gatorgrad84

My current WHS 2011 server is failing, and I figured I'd take this opprotunity to setup a new one. I would like to buy a pre-built server and I can add HDDs, RAM, etc. I saw some older atcilces about the HP Proliant Microserver, but don't know if that's still available or recommended.

I am comfortable building my own servers, as I've built a number of systems from scratch in the past, but I wanted to avoid having to buy all the pieces individually (e.g. mobo, CPU, etc.) so was hoping to start from a base level with an OEM server then adding HDDs and RAM. Suggestions?

Oh, forgot to mention - my curent setup is a re-deployed Dell Studo XPS 435MT, with 1 GB HDD. Looking to expand to perhaps 4 GB total storage.

Welcome to the forums. Most of the build information will be located within the "BYOB" sections. In order to give you an educated answer, from anyone, please tell us what you plan to do with the server. If just serve up files,backing up clients, etc, then certainly the Microserver N40L will be sufficient with a possible memory upgrade.

If you plan to do such things as streaming over the net, transcoding, etc, then we may be steering you towards a more capable solution such as a custom build.

HP has gotten out of the WHS business per so. However, you may want to look at the HP ProLiant MicroServer series. Joe_Miner in particular is enamoured with these units, but others like them as well. The current one seems to be the N40L but everyone is talking about some new one coming out fairly soon.

My primary use is media storage and streaming locally (to HDTV), no transcoding. Also redundant file backup, as I run a small business and keep my quickbooks and other financial files on there.

If you can find an N40L for under $200...that box will suit your needs just fine. There is always a tradeoff between current needs and growth for the future.

The N40L should meet your needs quite well, and it's very compact. To top it off, there are great deals offered on it, fairly frequently. Keep visiting these forums and you should run across a post announcing another new deal pretty soon.