RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Recommend a good SATA III PCIe card

dvn

I'm running out of SATA connections on my ASRock Z68 Pro3 mobo. I'm thinking about buying a SATA III PCIe card. Any good ones you can recommend?

I want to make sure there's actually 6Gb/s bandwidth available. Some of the reviews in Newegg mention that while a card may be rated 6Gb/s, sticking it in the wrong slot will limit the bandwidth. I only need a card with 2 to 4 connectors. Thanks.

*edit: I should have made it more clear that I'm looking for a non-RAID card. I own a RocketRAID 2720 but I don't want to use it just to add connectors.

I'll be following this post also since I'm in the market for a PCIe SATA III (6Gb/s) RAID card (not host-based) for the new desktop system I'm spec-ing out. Minimum 4-ports with RAID-5. And a second card (8-ports RAID 5) to move my existing Q6600 system to server 2012 and retire my EX490 (WHS v1). I want the ability to move the array/card to a new system without losing data in the event of a motherboard failure.

I'm more interested in hearing peoples' opinions on which manufacturer has the best product and best support. I'd be willing to spend a bit more to get a solid performer with support that won't evaporate.

LSI? HighPoint? Adaptec?

I'm running out of SATA connections on my ASRock Z68 Pro3 mobo. I'm thinking about buying a SATA III PCIe card. Any good ones you can recommend?

I've got a Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 turning up tomorrow plus my main desktop system has a ASRock Z68 motherboard. The board is for my server box but I'll try it in the X16 slot on the ASRock to see if it works.

Just to add some further info, there are 2 versions of the SuperMicro PCI-e card: an x8 one and an x4 one. You should check your mobo to be sure you have a x8 slot available if you want that card. Of course, it would be nice to have the extra bandwidth of the x8 card, but if you don't have a x8 slot.......

I'll be following this post also since I'm in the market for a PCIe SATA III (6Gb/s) RAID card (not host-based) for the new desktop system I'm spec-ing out. Minimum 4-ports with RAID-5. And a second card (8-ports RAID 5) to move my existing Q6600 system to server 2012 and retire my EX490 (WHS v1). I want the ability to move the array/card to a new system without losing data in the event of a motherboard failure.

I'm more interested in hearing peoples' opinions on which manufacturer has the best product and best support. I'd be willing to spend a bit more to get a solid performer with support that won't evaporate.

LSI? HighPoint? Adaptec?

If you're looking for a true hardware RAID5 card then I recommend LSI. Their products are used for a lot of server RAID cards.

I'm not in need of a RAID card, just a simple SATA III card. But maybe I should just stick my RocketRAID 2720 card in there and call it a day since it's currently sitting in a static bag on the shelf. It's just that it seems to run hot. It would be the hottest thing in my system.

Well the AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 arrived and I tried it quickly in an old Abit Fatal1ty F-190HD and my Asus P5e-vm hdmi motherboards and it worked correctly in both in the x16 slot. I've only got some slower 5900 rpm Sata III drives but it reported it connected at 6Gb/s and the benchmarks were running at the same speed as the onboard stuff. The drivers loaded easy under WHS2011 as well.

Well the AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 arrived and I tried it quickly in an old Abit Fatal1ty F-190HD and my Asus P5e-vm hdmi motherboards and it worked correctly in both in the x16 slot. I've only got some slower 5900 rpm Sata III drives but it reported it connected at 6Gb/s and the benchmarks were running at the same speed as the onboard stuff. The drivers loaded easy under WHS2011 as well.

That's a great looking card, though it's about twice what I'm willing to spend. Good luck with it.

It's almost the price of a 2720

Its around £100 in the uk, not the cheapest but it does seem to work well.

I struggled to get the staggered spinup to work as I dont use a backplane and most drives dont have a jumper you can set. It was time to get the wire cutters out B)

Pin 11 on a SATA power connector needs to be not connected to 0V for spinup to be enabled.

crimp1.jpgcrimp2.jpg

PIcture below is a modified connector next to a normal one.

connector.jpg

Worked like a charm and I got a thank you letter from my PSU ;)