RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Alternative to full duplication

chrisoldroyd

I have a home built WHS where I store all my videos which I distribute round the home and it works great, my questions is about folder duplication, obviously it is a complete copy of the folder and as my video folder is coming up to 2TB I need 4TB to do the duplication, is there a more efficient way of backing this folder up say once a fortnight but compressing the backup or is this the only way??

Thanks guys

Chris

Some video does not compress that much depending on the type. What I do is put videos into different folders based on whether or not I can afford to loose them. My movie collection can easily be replaced (with allot of work) so I do not duplicate that folder. Other video such home videos I set in a separate folder with duplication. If what you have is critical, then you have to decide whether to back it up or duplicate but even if you back up the storage savings is pretty small. Personally, I prefer duplication and let WHS manage it rather than another maintainace task. I do offsite but only for very critical data. Just my two cents.

What type of videos are they? For the most part, you're not going to see any gains by compression as the video's are likely already compressed.
For me personally since all my movies are copies of disks that i own, I don't duplicate them because it's not worth the space. For music I do, because they don't take up all that much space.
That said, if your time is valuable, I'd spend the $140 on a 2TB hard drive and turn on duplication.