RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Using QNAP TS-412 as an ISCI target for WHS 2011

cisetlover

Hello everyboby.

I own a WHS 2011 server and a QNAP turbo NAS TS-412, I would like a part of NAS storage to appears as an internal drive on WHS2011.My idea is to configure a raid 5(or6) with 4 HDD 2TB in TS-412, then create a ISCI target of 1.5TB in the NAS and allocte it to WHS server. So like this, I hope to use WHS to save my PC,s config into the NAS as RAID will give me the security.

Question , is this feasible espacially from WHS 2011 site? I know that ISCI can be created on TS-412, but will it be seen as an internal drive in WHS2011??

Thanks to all the guys who will help me, you can reply either in English or French. Be sure that I will appreciate any help.

Use "Yodafett" in the forum has a very extensive writeup on this exact procedure. If you search for his profile and/or subject, you should be able to do this with a little patience.

Definitely check out YodaFett's article, but I was curious what you mean by "RAID will give me the security".

I mean that in whs, if the drive fails, data are lost, in NAS raid 5(or6), if one (or2) drives fail, data will not be lost, raid will normally rebuilt after drive replacement. By the way, as I'new on this forum, how do I consult yodafetts article? Thanks for your reply, I appriciate your help.

Welcome to the forums. You can use the Search feature to find articles by Yodafett. Look for the Search box in the blue bar with the HomeServer logo in it. For more advanced search options click on the little gear wheel.

Regarding RAID5, most people here do use RAID5 with their WHS2011 setups. A very popular way to do that is to use the HighPoint RocketRaid cards, particularly the RR2720. I personally use a 3ware/LSI card for my server. There is no requirement to use a NAS to get RAID5; you can easily get it in your WHS2011. There are also additional advantages to using an add-in RAID card, including the ability to move the entire RAID array to another computer.